Mental Health Forums

Compartmentalisation

Data

Is it a good thing that we compartmentalise our lives? We behave differently depending on which compartment we are in. But amongst those compartments, where is the real person?

It can be good and bad, can't it? It completely depends on the reasons you are compartmentalising a particular facet of your life. I've found the last few months that I have less compartments and have been happier and able to cope a lot better, not to mention the fact that I'm happy with those that I still have. My battle is to stop myself from open others that I know will only lead to difficulties.

I just read all that back and I'm not sure it even makes an iota of sense. Meh, maybe somebody else will know what the hell I'm on about.

Hi Data. I compartmentalize a lot between my professional and private life and it's really difficult at time. I also have identity issues but can't say if it comes from the compartmentalization. I hope you find your own way.

I didn't know it was a bad thing. I always get criticised for not compartmentalising. My mum tells me to behave like a normal person but I don't know how. I usually seem to have more problems when I try to be normal.

I didn't know it was a bad thing. I always get criticised for not compartmentalising. My mum tells me to behave like a normal person but I don't know how. I usually seem to have more problems when I try to be normal.

What is normal anyway? I have no idea.

As usual, your mum's talking through her hat. Just be who you're happiest being, as I'm fairly sure that would be a key to improved mental health as well. Keeping up a pretence of being someone you're not is added pressure that you or anyone else who has mental health concerns should not have to deal with.

Thank you Threemoons and Steve :)

I don't want to say too much on Data's thread but once I have my own home I hope to be able to be myself without being criticised for it.

Data, I thought about this today, I think the real person must be somewhere alongside all the compartments. I guess it's more or less a matter of collecting the pieces there and sticking them altogether...

It can be good and bad, can't it? It completely depends on the reasons you are compartmentalising a particular facet of your life. I've found the last few months that I have less compartments and have been happier and able to cope a lot better, not to mention the fact that I'm happy with those that I still have. My battle is to stop myself from open others that I know will only lead to difficulties.

I just read all that back and I'm not sure it even makes an iota of sense. Meh, maybe somebody else will know what the hell I'm on about.

Thanks for your reply Setting Sun. I will prepare an itemised report with a project plan on this before our next meeting. I want to impress you as you are my boss.

Hi Data. I compartmentalize a lot between my professional and private life and it's really difficult at time. I also have identity issues but can't say if it comes from the compartmentalization. I hope you find your own way.

I understand this and I hope you enjoy the walks that my club runs. I want to give you a service as a member of the community as it makes me feel better to feel I am useful.

I am sorry you are criticised Emma, later I will give you a back rub and a hug because it makes me feel more secure and its a way of expressing my love for you.

Sorry about the above reply people, I was being silly but it wasn't appropriate.. I was in a strange mood last night.

Archived