Mental Health Forums

New Here...hello :)

behindblueeyes

Hi all,

Well, I found myself here because I feel I have BPD. I've read a lot about it over the years but more so lately because it's become so obvious that I have more of a problem then just "bad days or a bad temper".

Looking back over my life, I've realized in a big way that there are some clearly definitive and repeat patterns of behavior that have plagued me from a very young age:

• Impulsiveness...once leading to criminal charges
  • binge eating
  • unstable relationships and self-image
  • rages and uncontrollable outbursts
  • severe depression and gaping emptiness
  • always worrying that someone is angry with me or has left me (when I haven't hear from them in a while)
  • paranoid that at times, people are trying to irritate me

I've been a variety of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. Currently taking Pristiq and Ativan. Without Ativan, I become agoraphobic...once not leaving the house or working for almost 2 years.

I'm currently trying to find a therapist to talk to about this. I guess I've self-diagnosed but it's hard not to when you read about BPD and realize you fit 95% of the diagnostic criteria. I feel I should print out the information and hand it to my doc and say I think this is me. They don't usually like that of course.

I have a couple of questions...the first would be...what kind of dr would be the best to see? I'm thinking initially a psychiatrist and then maybe a psychologist for a regime of therapy.

Second, is anyone on medication that actually helps?

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this.

- BBE (BehindBlueEyes)

Hi there. I was given the diagnosis of bpd n 2012 after being in a psych unit for over a year at that point. It took a lot of tests and a lot of stupid questions from psych doctors before they finally made their minds up as to what i actually had. i went online looking for info about bpd and found this place, aint left since... I am on a load of different drugs to control the various faces that bpd has. I have to say there isnt just one drug that gets rid of bpd symptems at least thats what i have found. i guess everyone is different where the symptems will vary from person to person. so will the frequency of outbursts or what ever will vary from person to person to. I also hear voices as part of my bpd and they aint nice ones. Thankfully i have lots of copeing stratogies to help with them. I would be lost with out them tbh. Hopefully you will find this place as helpful as i do and decide to stay a while. :) see u around. Metaphorically speaking of corse as i have no sight.

Archived