Mental Health Forums

I Fear Seeing Doctors - I Think They Will Mistreat Me...

farneston

I don't like going to doctors, since I reckon they will mistreat me/treat me unfairly.

I read some posts here, and people say they smoke drugs, drink, etc. but if I told my doctors that, they'll threaten to section me........ They also tell me to be "always nice", but then I cannot, I'm a human....

I'm often told psychiatry is not an exact science, which is true, but then it seems to me I get told arbitrary stuff. There still are guidelines, templates and ethics, as with all medical disciplines...a person cannot feel sad in itself and be depressed, nor can a person lack empathy in itself and be a sociopath.....

The thing is I feel down, and I hate it.......Why do all others get the fair medical breaks and not me? Why are the norms/ethics applied to all others and not to me? Because I don't have a sexy personality? I bet that's it...

To be honest mate I am lost for words...sexy personality?? You are talking about equality in medical care?? Can you be exact regarding these threats of sections??

I think you have an inferiority complex...you speak about others getting lucky breaks...they are ill too, perhaps you have noticed others working with medical professionals....not in combat

Steve

To be honest mate I am lost for words...sexy personality?? You are talking about equality in medical care?? Can you be exact regarding these threats of sections??

I think you have an inferiority complex...you speak about others getting lucky breaks...they are ill too, perhaps you have noticed others working with medical professionals....not in combat

Steve

No, I believe they get better treatment. and equality? yes....in the NHS for instance, white people aren't supposed to get better treatment than black people, or women over men...it's how medicine works.....you'll probably call me naive for saying that, but then it's my opinion, and well UK society is "naive"....I bet you dislike racism, if so, you've made yourself out to be a hypocrite..

Hi Farneston, I'm sorry you feel so let down. But I don't get why you would be sectioned for telling doctors you take drugs or drink, it's your right to say those things and doctors have a duty to keep secret about their patients. One is usually sectioned only if he's a treat of danger to himself or to the others, which doesn't appear to be the case with you. Is it not your own fears shutting you up? If others have not been sectioned, why would you be? You're a civilian like any other, with the same rights and the same treatment. Maybe you haven't found the right professional yet? It majorly took a lot of time and energy from us to get the right treatment, and we are not sure where it leads us. Can't you see the distress in most posts on these forums? I assure you you would not be mistreated if you opened up, in fact it's probably the best you can do. If it's too difficult to say things, maybe try to write them? Best of luck. With a lot of love and hugs. XXX

I thought about not posting this as it probably won't encourage you to go and I don't want to annoy everyone else.

But some doctors do mistreat patients. It is terrible but it happens. But the thing is, it's not your fault. It is their failing that stops them from doing their job. It's not because you are doing anything wrong or because there is something wrong with you or your personality. It's not your fault when this happens. It's just that some doctors despite all their training just don't get it and no one can blame you for that.

But it's not every doctor. If you find one who mistreats you then you need and deserve a better doctor. There are better doctors out there.

This is an amazing site but it probably doesn't really give a fair reflection of what most doctors are like. Most of the people who are here are telling us about the things that went wrong- and that's natural because those are the things we need to talk about and be reassured about. A lot of people who have support from their doctor won't post here because they feel they don't need extra support. There are probably also people here who have a good relationship with their doctor- but they just don't mention it because most people who come here are asking for support and we often won't mention the good things, we'll focus on what's wrong because that's what we need support with.

I have seen some horrible doctors at my surgery but the one I spoke to last week was great. He didn't mistreat me, he actually said nice things. My CBT therapist was great. The psychiatrist I saw was great.

I don't know too much about being sectioned. No one has ever talked about sectioning me. But I think it's quite unusual. I knew someone who was sectioned for drug-taking but he took loads and loads. He grew his own cannabis and mushrooms. He tried to pressure other people to take drugs. He was annoyed that I wouldn't. Even then they were aware of the problem for a long time before they sectioned him.

Of course there is bad doctors, as in every job one can do! But I think there's a lot more good ones than bad ones. Farneston, if by bad luck you've fallen on a bad one, please consider seeing someone else. And maybe you can even voice your complaint so it doesn't happen twice? I'm with you, nice buddy.

You don't answer questions...I am not a hypocrite...watch your tone please

Steve

We discussed this before in another thread, but then I sometimes misread posts. I thought you were dismissing me.

Sorry for sniping at you.

Hi Farneston, I'm sorry you feel so let down. But I don't get why you would be sectioned for telling doctors you take drugs or drink, it's your right to say those things and doctors have a duty to keep secret about their patients. One is usually sectioned only if he's a treat of danger to himself or to the others, which doesn't appear to be the case with you. Is it not your own fears shutting you up? If others have not been sectioned, why would you be? You're a civilian like any other, with the same rights and the same treatment. Maybe you haven't found the right professional yet? It majorly took a lot of time and energy from us to get the right treatment, and we are not sure where it leads us. Can't you see the distress in most posts on these forums? I assure you you would not be mistreated if you opened up, in fact it's probably the best you can do. If it's too difficult to say things, maybe try to write them? Best of luck. With a lot of love and hugs. XXX

You don't answer questions...I am not a hypocrite...watch your tone please

Steve

We discussed this before in another thread, but then I sometimes misread posts. I thought you were dismissing me.

Sorry for sniping at you.

And frankly, I've always got lesser treatment than others....at school by teachers, by friends, etc. I don't get why...

I get why, your demeanour is rude and argumentative..you don't encourage people to help you. Look at your attitude and how you react??

I bothered again to reply to you and again you have been rude and not answered the questions I asked, by doing that you have closed down your own discussion

Steve

Stop sensing...read or listen. Why would I bother to reply if I didn't want to help?? I don't reply to every problem here...think about that mate before you jump at me again

Steve

And I don't consider myself rude...only to those who dismiss my points and thoughts, because I don't have a sexy personality...which in itself is rude on any level...

Archived