Mental Health Forums

Bpd

DMfan

I discovered at my GP surgery today that when i went into hospital last year they gave me a diagnosis of borderline personaliy disorder.I had suspected this for some time though. I have an appointment coming with the psychiatrist and the GP told me that he may just see me once and discharge me. A friend with BPD said that as it is considered to be a complex and serious mental illness i should be taken seriously. She has a psych and a CPN. I feel relieved as i now the reasons for my behaviours etc but i am a little worred.

DMfan

I had a similar experience. Around 4 years after seeing a psych, I found out I had been diagnosed with bpd. No one even told me. I found out from a new gp who then referred me to a different psych as I was still having problems. The new psych diagnosed me with possible bipolar, yet as she hadn't even listened to what I had been saying and literally spent the whole 15 minutes looking out of the window, I took it no further as I had very little faith in her. I am still struggling.

Hopefully where you live you have access to better professionals and it is really good that you also have a friend with the condition to support and advise you along the way. No real advise I am afraid, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone and good luck with your appointment. Hopefully they will be able to provide you with the appropriate help xxx

Ok I dont know if this will be any help or not. A few months ago I to got diagnosed with bpd although since this has been changed slightly initially I went to see the psychiactric team and spent a few hours talking about how I felt and quite abit about my past etc. The team probed me with leading questions like how I feel right now etc. This was cool and didnt actually feel like they were doing anything, However looking back they were in short playing me for reactions to assess my mood swing etc. it was at that point they gave me a rough dianoses or BPD. However after spending a further hour or so with the actually psychiatrist it was determind that I definatly had a personality disorder with BPD traits but also an attatchment issue. All arising from a mistroubled childhood.

Dont over worry yourself at this just let the people in the know at least esses you and make there wn diagnosis. What you do with this is really your choice. Unless your a major danger to your own life or someone elses there is nothing they will do in the way of hospitalising you or anything.

What they may well offer is medication to help stablise your moods a little see attatched picture below of various personality issues the medication help you stay within the normal levels so to speak and make your life a little more ok. Secondly and the most important is TALK. this is totally and without a doubt the best way to deal with BPD it also seems to be a good way to help you along the journey to full recovery. It is a long journey but its totally doable. A good therapist will be able to help you with this. So dont be scared to ASK THEM. they deal with this everyday so they will be able to offer this for you. A good therapist is hard to find. If you dont feel like you connect with one then ask for another... After all its your life and your health right.....

Juts rememeber these things no matter where in your journey to recovery you are.,

ASK FOR HELP

TALK

AND DONT PANIC ( IF YOU FIND YOURSELF PANICING AGAIN ASK FOR HELP )

Archived