Mental Health Forums

How To Quit Smoking? Can Therapy Help?

Audrey_Hepburn

I smoke way too much. I tried to give up dozen times, but it made my depression, anger and frustration to much higher level.

At times when I was doing well, and quit, I didn't even have the urge to smoke and was feeling confident and amazing.

Then at some point, even after a month of not even thinking of cigarettes, usually when I'm low, I haue that urge to smoke and if I don't I become agressive and I give into it and smoke like crazy.

Even if I have a flu, or I'd be late to work - I will smoke, or as I'm not aloud to smoke at home, I smoke outside although I'm freezing or I'd give last money I have to buy them even if it means I'd have no money to eat

I can compare this to the period years ago when I was binge eating

When I smoke I hate myself for doing it, but I can't stop it

I become obsessed with it, since I really want to stop

I wanted to do a hypnotherapy, but my therapist suggested we do it in our "regular" therapy sessions, but somehow some other things come out then, so we never have time to talk about it

Anyone goes through this, or overcome it?

My dad had NLP/ hypnotherapy and it helped him stop but i think he kind of replaced it with eating more... it's a weird thing about addictions that people seem to need to replace it with something. Do you think maybe after the binge eating you replaced it with smoking? Not intentionally, these things are usually subconscious. My other half gave up smoking by weaning himself off using nicotine patches. Perhaps your local health centre has information on stopping smoking? If it's something that relaxes you and relieves your stress perhaps look into something you can replace it with so that when you do have a stressful time you have something to turn to instead of relapsing into smoking? xx

I tried everything... we don't have any centre that does anything to do with quiting smoking

I am seriously thinking of hypnotherapy

anyone ever tried?

Hi Audrey. I never smoked but my family did and they stopped by first replacing regular cigarettes with electronic cig and then reducing from there until stopping completely over a month or two. I'm aware that some people say electronic could be worse than regulars but it costs less and if you can quit smoking with it why not trying? I know nothing on hypnotherapy but if you have informations I am interested. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my friends started electronic cigarettes and almost everyone got back to the regulars...

I just want to quit this awful habit, but fir now I try not to make myself feel guilty about it...

I'll talk to my therapist first time I see him to recommend me a hypnotherapist... We'll see...

• 2 months later...

Realize that tobacco creates a habit on a variable reinforcement schedule.Be positive and confident that you can successfully quit.Choose a specific quit date.Find a medication or a doctor to help you quit smoking.Some Rehab center can help.

• 6 months later...

General: 

1. Get plenty of rest. Smoking is one of the hardest addictions to overcome and you need all the energy you can get. 
2. Addictions may be related to brain chemistry imbalances. Good nutrition is very essential, especially during the time you are trying to form new patterns of behavior. 
3. Some habit patterns such as smoking often have triggers that go along with them. For example, sitting in a favorite chair or getting a cup of coffee, then automatically reaching for a cigarette. Try to look for these trigger emotions or habits that go along with your smoking so that you can avoid them. 
4. Avoid being around others who smoke while you are trying to break the habit. 

Specific: 

1. Decide on a stopping date. Tell others when it will be so they can encourage you. 
2. Throw all your cigarettes and any related items such as your lighter or matches away. Do not put them where you can get them again "if you need them". 
3. Do not drink or use any beverages or medicines that contain caffeine or alcohol. During the time you are trying to break your cigarette habit, using any other addicting substances will cause you to be less successful. In addition, this is a good time to strongly consider giving these habits up also, as they are strong stimulants to smoking. 
4. Drink plenty of water and juices during the first week you are quitting. Try to drink at least 6 glasses of water per day. Getting the nicotine out of your system is helped with increased amounts of drinks that do not contain caffeine or alcohol. 
5. At any time during the day that you are at work and crave a cigarette, take a drink of water and go for a 10-20 minute walk. If you are at home, take a cool shower. It is difficult to smoke while in the shower. 
6. Eat simple foods such as salads, fruits, vegetables, and whole wheat breads. Avoid overly spicy and rich foods because they may contribute to the craving for a cigarette. Avoid foods made with white flour, white rice and refined foods. Without the complete vitamins, especially B vitamins, the body often develops cravings. 
7. Do not skip breakfast and then go for a "coffee break". This is a sure time to need a cigarette. Instead, eat a hearty breakfast of cereals, fruit and whole-wheat toast. Avoid high fat foods such as bacon and eggs and pastries. 
8. Go to bed early. An adequate rest may naturally help to reduce the need for a cigarette to keep you calm. 
9. Thoroughly air out your house; sleep with the windows open. 
10. Don't wish that you could have "just one more smoke". Remember that you have just given up a disgusting habit that could kill you, and gained a freedom that will be with you for life, and improve your health dramatically. 
11. If someone knows that you smoked in the past and offers you a cigarette, tell them that you are an ex-smoker. This reinforces your decision to be a non-smoker. 
12. Ask God to help you. Many people fail at quitting smoking, but God honors those who trust in Him and he will supply all your needs, and help you overcome this habit if you ask Him. -
For more info or guidance contact us parshuramfoundation hope we have offered some help

Archived