Mental Health Forums

Intensive Bpd Therapy Group

Made of stone

I will be starting a bpd intensive therapy group very soon. It will be for 18 months and I'm extremely nervous about it I've been in various therapy groups before but I'm terrified of doing it again I know I should do this as it will be good for me but as usual my protective side says don't has anybody else had therapy for bpd for this long? I'm worried I haven't got the strength to do it for this amount of time especially when it requires me to open up the pain of recent events in my life ( which triggered this latest spout of my bpd )

I am starting a MBT group soon for 18 months, i'm nervous too!, but the first few weeks are just information then you can decide if you want to stay or not, dunno if thats the same for you? gives you an option

I'm worried about opening up too cause I really can't do it :/ and sometimes nothing has happened, if you want a chat feel free to pm me :) maybe we could help eachother

Hi Made of Stone and Ratherin,

Although I haven't been in group therapy, I do hear both of your fears about opening up, feeling vulnerable and raw. But I do hope that both of you have the option of stopping/ taking time out if it all feels/ gets too much. I feel that fear holds us back from taking risks (I've done this many times myself), but everyone will pretty much be feeling very similar feeling to yourselves, so on the whole, it could be a supportive and cathartic experience for you. i would hope the therapists/ facilitators of the group will support you through any process/ difficulty you may experience. And fear of the unknown, fear of being vulnerable in front of others is very understandable. I wish you both well :-)

Hi Made of Stone and Ratherin, that does sound terrifying and a big commitment.

I have no experience of group therapy but I did do 15 sessions of 1 to 1 CBT therapy recently. That was all I was allowed but it wasn't really enough time for me to open up fully and explore all the possibilities. I would be absolutely terrified in your place but I think the fact the therapy is a long course is very positive as you will be able to go into things in a lot more depth and be able to spend time exploring techniques rather than rushing through them.

18 months does seem like a long time but you don't have to stay for the full time if it isn't helping you. It might help (or it might not) just to take it a few sessions at a time, committing yourself to 4 (for example) and just concentrating on getting through those. When you've done that you can think about whether you want to continue and then focus on the next 3 or 4.

With opening up that can take a bit of time but you do have lots of time. Even if you can't open up in the sessions I'm sure you can still get something from the course by listening to other people and taking note of techniques which you can practise at home. You might find there are a lot of things you can't do in the session anyway- in my therapy we talked a bit about how to deal with criticism but I couldn't practise that in therapy because I very rarely felt criticised in therapy. But outside therapy I had lots of opportunities to try things out.

I hope it goes well on Thursday Ratherin if I don't speak to you before then- do you know when you start Made of Stone?

Archived