Mental Health Forums

The Day From Hell

Data

My day today has been so stressful its like a joke.
Work is horrendous. My supervisor is so negative, I am struggling at work and they do support me sometimes but he is very critical. The whole project is in jeopardy, and as its my project that would be me out of a job. I find criticism hard to take, particularly from a hypocrite.
This evening I have tried to hide, on my laptop, the neighbours were swearing at each other at one point, I can hear them through the party wall.
Work is shit beyond belief, I've been doing it this evening, its been bad. But home is shit too.
My son won't do his homework, its the source of horrendous arguments. He has a statement of special educational needs.
We bought a kitchen and thought £4000 was a good deal compared to Homebase's £7000. But the kitchen company are shit. The hob has cracked for the SECOND time. We have only had the kitchen 16 months, but its now past its warranty. The tap drips, runs, whistles etc and I've emailled the kitchen company a few times, they don't get back to me. Wife is going to chase up the cracked hob. I am going to chase up our plumber for the tap although he says its difficult and I don't know when she is in for him.
I could find only one trainer in the hall. I have only one decent pair. I am pretty convinced that my wife has lost it. We have argued several times this evening.She has been emptying out everything, she can't find it. She has found an old pair for me. I am angry, its complicated, I wouldn't just leave ONE trainer somewhere. she has done something to it.
This evening my wife has lost her debit card. She is a fuckwit. I had to give her mine and she has been to walk to the cashpoint. Our house is a tip because of her, of things lost and broken. She has the time to volunteer for the citizens advice bureau, but not to make life easier for us.
I have two irons in the fire about other jobs. One is an interview on Monday night, i have to leave work early and go there and be there for 5pm. I am not sure what time to leave work, getting across the conurbation is hell. The other job is uninspiring. I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant.
The interview on Monday evening is for a company for which I scored 91.5% on their programming test. They think I am brilliant lol. At least someone appreciates me! I will try and go to them and talk about the job.
I have been working on my laptop this evening. They are flexible about my hours and my project (which pretty much just me works on) is going shit so I wanted to succeed. But this evening has been as clear as mud as usual.
I've had about 1/2 bottle of vodka. Will someone turn my mind off, I can' cope :(.

Data, i hear your frustration and sadness. From what i read there is so much going on and I'm sure the things you've written are just the backbone of your turmoil. I really hope for you that something will come of the job you're after. If you had work that challenged you enough without being horrendously stressful, the home life may be easier to deal with. Just wanted to let you know that I've heard you.

You have a lot of problems to deal with this week, Data. Please be easy on yourself, it's not your failure. Life just can be horrendous sometimes. I hope today is a better day. Keep talking with us if it helps.

Thanks Fabhcún Gorm, PDBPD (Steve) and Threemoons.

I had a bit of a breakthrough at work today. And then I moved onto the next task, which I completed at lightning speed. Then I've hit another stumbling block. So a good (but not brilliant) day at work - makes a change.

I decided to rehearse the car journey to the interview today. Its like a triangle: work is 28-30 miles from my home, the interview is 22-25 miles from my home, and they are both 24 miles from each other.

But its 24 miles across hellishly congested roads. I left at 4pm and didn't get there until 5.10pm. So I'm going to ask work if I can leave at 3.40pm on Monday. If I start at 7am and make some of the time up later in the week they should be ok. But I cannot guarantee to be at the interview on time, I am going to have to warn them. All it takes is an accident on the motorway.

When I came in from work my wife had turned the stopcock off because she couldn't stand the noise that the leaking tap was making. I've rang the plumber 3 times today but when he rang back he missed me :(. He says he might be able to fit us in on Wednesday next week.

My wife can't find the good trainer she lost but she has found an older pair that will do for now.

She has reported her card lost and is waiting for the replacement.

Tomorrow I am taking my son to a museum where he is doing something with the scouts. I'm just going to sit in the cafe for a couple of hours.

We still have to decide which school to send my son to, the deadline is approaching and its hard as he has special needs.

Tomorrow afternoon I am leading a group of 17 people on a 5 mile walk. Its part of a club that I founded on the internet. I am looking forward to it and I have carefully walked the route out in advance:

Things are feeling slightly better this evening, but I have a bottle of port.

Ah, I'm pleased to know that today was a bit better. And about the bottle, well nobody's perfect. If you need it for now, be it. Just make sure that you don't drink dangerous amount and you should be fine. Take care.

Ah, I'm pleased to know that today was a bit better. And about the bottle, well nobody's perfect. If you need it for now, be it. Just make sure that you don't drink dangerous amount and you should be fine. Take care.

I am drinking dangerous amounts. And eating dangerous amounts.

I need a break from everything!

Aw Data. Come here get a hug. I'm so sorry you're endangering your health. But it's the only way to cope you know. Please ask for help if you need it, you deserve to be well. I don't know what to say but we're here if you want to talk or vent. Our heart and ears are wide open for you.

Thanks for your kind words Threemoons and Christine. And you are right Christine, I am proud of myself, I have tenacity, I don't always cope well but i always try.

Well this morning was supposed to be taking my son on a pre-booked Scouts event at the RAF Museum to do his communications badge. According to my wife. The museum is 13 miles from me and she said I could sit in the cafe whilst he did his stuff, or she would go if I provided the transport.

However, I forgot to mention that she is a bit of an idiot when she is under stress.

I texted the scout leader last night and she did NOT book it, but they said he could go anyway. It is NOT at the museum, they did that last year. its at the scout hut which is 1 mile from our house. So I took him and he behaved well and learned morse code, semaphore, radio skills etc. It was good :).

Tonight my wife is going out and leaving me with the kids. The challenge for me will be to NOT get a bottle of vodka and work my way through it. If I do, I it will be another step towards physical addiction to alcohol.

Last night I had a bottle of port. The previous two nights I had half a bottle of vodka.

I am definitely not drinking on Sunday night as I have to go into work early on Monday in order to get the time off to go to this 2 hour long job interview after work. If I drink tonight, I could be agitated on Monday and not thinking straight.

I sometimes think its in my nature to drink though. Its like the parable of the scorpion and the frog:

The Scorpion and the Frog

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the
scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The
frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion
says, "Because if I do, I will die too."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream,
the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of
paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown,
but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature..."

• 3 months later...

Archived