Mental Health Forums

Lots Of Changes All At Once

jamie2011

Hi there, I haven't been around much on the site for quite a while, but was just after some advice really. There has been some big changes lately. I went from part-time work (16 hours) to full time (39 hours). On top of that was discharged from the mental health services after being in the system for 10 years. I was fine with it, came as a little shock as it was a follow appointment. On top of that my psych is retiring after knowing them for 7 years and they have seen me through many ups and downs.

Also in the past few months I have been physically unwell (well much longer than that), but its been suggested I have fibromyalgia and was given medication on top of the other two medications I take (anti-depressant/anti-psychotic). Which has helped a great deal.

Now this is where I need advice, I have noticed in the past few days I have become a bit more on edge, feel emotional like I want to cry etc.

I have worked 10 days before having a day off, then will be working another 9 days before another day off. The reason this has happened it because all my benefits have stopped eg housing benefit, working tax credits (disability premium) and DLA. Working out my monthly income minus tax/NI/pension I could minus rent/bills/food/prescription I would be left with very little. On top of that I have a holiday start of next year and need to save for spending money etc. At work I am also do a different role, so more responsibility. My working days change week to week, sometimes starting early in morning, others not finishing to late at night. Sometimes I am getting home from work and having to cook for my dinner for the next day. I know lots of people have to do this, but I struggle when I get home after work, I cannot relax. In the past three weeks I have not had time to do anything.

I don't want to go backwards, but not sure how to start managing things better and to be able to relax. All I want to do is go to bed when I get in.

Hi Jammie. I feel like I was the same when I was working, all I wanted was sleeping, I had no energy and was terribly afraid of heading back to crisis, which sadly occurred. I find it's hard to find time during the week to relax so I used the Saturday/Sunday to do so. Maybe you can time to time buy sandwiches so you don't have to cook for the tomorrow and have more time for yourself? I don't know if you have a Subway shop near you but I find them great, they have good and healthy sandwiches for a reasonable price. What are your favorite activities for chilling out? You can organize your week-end around them. It's also important that you have good relationship with some people so you go out with them sometimes. Don't make the error I did to isolate yourself and never go out. Also I know it's not the ideal but if you're tired a lot you could ask you GP about taking some probiotics for lifting up your energy level, it helped me in my recovery. The bad point is that they're a bit expensive. I'm sorry I can't help you more. Keep talking here, it helps to talk things out. Anyway don't let you exhaust yourself, ask help before it. You have my best wishes. Hugs.

Archived