Mental Health Forums

Can Diet Effect Depression?

JustDucky

My doctor put me on a diet, because I have the hormones of a pregnant woman, and I'm also anemic. I haven't been following it, and I noticed the difference, but every time I get motivated to try the diet again my family gets mad at me for being so picky. I have been really depressed lately, but I don't know why. Help?

Diet definitely has an impact on your body and your mind! I have low iron levels too at the moment.

I wouldn't recommend listening to what a doctor says you should eat though!

Yes, diet can have an effect on depression. Your body chemistry, including your brain functioning, is based on what elements your food is giving you. A healthy diet will warrant you a well working body and brain. If your doctor has prescribed a special diet you'd want to respect it but you also need to eat enough as it's proven that not meeting your body needs would aggravate your mood. Think you could have a calm talk with your family on your difficulty to observe the prescription of your doctor? Maybe tell them you want to eat but also to respect the prescription in an effort to overcome your depression?

I wanted to add that although yes diet can affect your mood its not the only factor, there are many and diet is one of them.

When one has a severe depression certain foods can help but wont be a 100% fix, usually more is needed for that like therapy and sometimes meds.

Well, some psych meds can give pregnant-like hormones a spread-up. Increased prolactine leading to breast milk is a common one.

Archived