Mental Health Forums

Understanding Depression ?

safe.place

I have suffered from depression for some 12 yrs, i take 150mm depression tablets. Like many I have had ups and downs, I have had lows and a few highs. Over the years have had quite a few sessions with wellbeing and mind, but as yet to get anything that will take this problem away or indeed put it to sleep for a while. I have found my own methods to sometimes release some situations for a short while.

Although I have had the support, it only seems to last a short while, I am for ever filling in forms about my current state and all the time it reads the same, with the exception of a few sessions that do help but only for a short while.

At this period in my life I have begun to question certain things more intensely, and now find myself here on this forum knowing that sharing issues can some times make one feel that little bit better.

I visit my doctor when I can, as I find it difficult to go out where there are crowds, there is always crowds with in a surgery. As usual the doc will check my tablet dosage and just refer me to wellbeing.

When I visit my GP and we talk about my situation one of the first questions will be asked is, have you ever self harmed or thought of taking my life, this also appears on the many questions when visiting wellbeing or mind.

I have never found myself in a suicidal situation because I think to much of my family also how it would effect them. However it does scare me to think what if I did feel that way and I presented my doctor with this, what would be the next step by my doctor, wellbeing or mind ?, how to they deal with this.

I am also concerned about bipolar, as it has been suggested by members of my family that this could also be a factor in my life. Do I present my doctor with this thought.

Thank you for taking the time in reading the above.

Hi safe place do you have psychiatrist? They would be the one to speak to about bipolar my psychiatrist told me just last week that he thought I might have bipolar as well as Bpd. Your gp can also help so yeah open up to them tell them what you think and see what they say. I have been suicidal, I still self harm and have suicidal thoughts alot most times when I tell someone they offer more support at times I have been hospitalised it just depends on how big a risk you are at x

Thanks Addy. I have had plenty of counselling but not sure if its really doing me good. Sorry to hear you have found yourself at such bad points, Yes I believe you are right, its time to throw this to my GP, and take it from there.

kind regards.

Just from experience I know that when I told my councellor I self harmed before she never took it further, it was a massive risk on my part though because I wasn't sure wether other people had to find out like family etc.

Hope all is well

Archived