Mental Health Forums

Dialectical Behavioural Therapy For Bpd

Kalli

So as the nhs are useless im looking into more therapy. I want to have dbt but its costly. Was just wondering if anyone has had it? How long does it last? Has it worked for you? how has has it worked for you? All replies appreciated. Thanks

Mine lasted about a year + a few months.

To complete all the modules is about 6 months but in my group they encouraged everyone to stay as long as possible, because it is such slow work that takes a lot of practicing outside of group to make it a useful tool when you need to draw on it. I am really glad I did it. The part that has had the biggest impact is learning to do one thing in the moment and radical acceptance, particularly when I am getting worked up that there needs to be a particular outcome.

As a result of wanting to learn more I looked into mindfulness meditation and loving kindness meditation.

I was in it for 18 months we repeated all the nodules twice, if didn't go well it set me back yrs and it finished in April and I went downhill a lot after that and I'm still trying to get over it. A lot of people like it and benefit from it they told me there was too many additional barriers going on for me which prevented it from working. They said I will have the option to do it again in the future. I hope it works out for you x

Hi Kalli,

Well,it takes a while to get used to.Especially if social phobia or not being good in group situations is an issue.Once getting used to the other members of the group,things become easier.We started with 12 in our group.Some drop out for various reasons along the way.At 12 months things are re-evaluated along with individual psychologist feedback.I continue for a further 6 months.Hopefully at the end of things,i should be more aware of the problems i have with my BPD and able to move forward in a more constructive way with the rest of my life.Time will tell.

Take care

Stellar

• 3 months later...

Hi Kalli,

An update.Am still in the process of calming down after a 6 page A4 rant sent to my psychologist.Titled"Notice of termination of both MBT and individual sessions".Six weeks short of 18 months.I have jumped before pushed.I will not acknowledge any benefits,i think i am worse than was at the start.I am now in"cut off",everyone,no exceptions.It is much easier this way,to disappear.

Stellar

I have been in dbt just for a few months and I should say it really does help. The crucial idea of DBT is learning to just feel emotions and not act on them. I want to add to Saharah Blue and say that I have similar feelings from dbt. Learning to do one thing at a time mindfully already can improve one's quality of life and lead to less impulsivity, and radical acceptance is really as it was put 'the only way out of hell'. Probably dbt may not work on everyone, but for me personally it has been some sort of a life savior.

Dbt helps many and it has helped me too. I never had formal DBT but I did a few online course of which some are free, there are also good books and in general good helpfull websites and email groups etc so if you cant afford the therapy....I can give you links and such if you like.

In some cities like yopga centres and such they give mindfullness courses theyre usually not that expensive so that could be something else to try as mindfullness it a big part of DBT.

If you can afford the therapy though it may be very much worth it. it has 80% succes rate so thats pretty high.

I have had DBT therapy. I was lucky however as the area where I live has a company, external to the NHS, who run lots of therapy groups for anxiety, depression, dbt, cbt etc.... So after many conversations with my doctor and on my pyschiatrists wishes I got into one of the DBT group therapy courses. I got a little bit messed around by them so while waiting for the course to start I brought the 'DBT workbook' and 'Mindfulness for Borderline Personality Disorder'. Both of which have been immesnely helpful.
Then I got on the course and it was helpful, it was helpful to talk with the people running the course, and talk through things from the workbook but overall there seemed to be a struggle getting people to turn up for the sessions, so it was often a group of 3 people rather than a group of 10. Which I didn't find very helpful. Also the group was not just for people with BPD, as although all the content was dbt, the course was called mood regulation therapy and was open to people with anxiety and depression and all manner of other things. So while I was not specifically against that, it did mean that the instructers were much broarder in their approach. And the way in which my BPD manifests itself (making me not count myself as a person, rather seeing myself as a tool to aid other peoples emotions) meant I got so caught up in everyone's emotions that I often forgot about myself.

Having said all this, I did take a lot a way from the group therapy but I got a lot more done just from the 'DBT workbook.' (Here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425162128&sr=8-1&keywords=dbt+workbook )

Archived