Mental Health Forums

Have A Break

Eagleheart

It is undoubtedly un-realistic to expect a miracle recovery but i have found something that gives temporary relief.

When i feel myself slipping into the black pit,i try to put my full attention onto something i find beautiful or calming.

For me, it is my cats or the birds on the feeders in my garden.Whatever makes you feel a bit fuzzy inside.A beautiful ornament,a flower - it's your choice.

I then concentrate & focus intently on it.But i can only do this for 10-20 seconds at a time.Which may sound ridiculous.But it gives my brain a short breather & actually,it is enough to make a small but significant difference.With practice,i hope i can lengthen those time-out's so that eventually,i could maybe give myself a 5 minute break from the chaos that is my mind.

I'm glad you're able to do this Eagleheart. 10-20 seconds doesn't sound ridiculous at all. Even if you are looking at the most beautiful thing in the world it is still a physical and mental effort to keep looking and keep focusing. And even 10 seconds of escape is so worth having.

Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for that Eagleheart, I think it's commendable that you are able to do this at all. I know what the chaos feels like.

Have you had any DBT? It's a very DBT concept, taking a break......

No,i've not had dbt. I've had very little help tbh.

I've had to be my own therapist & had to provide my own care. And i'm still here,so i must be doing ok!

Well I think you deserve a medal. I know how difficult it can be, and I honestly don't know how I got through some times....and that was with help.

I am sorry you have no received the support you need. I notice your location is the Scottish Highlands, I have no experience of the support available in Scotland, or of how the system works for you.

Have you read any work on DBT? I'm not trying to preach, but I know it is the recognised therapy for BPD, and could more than likely be useful to a great number of other people with a lack of emotional coping skills. I found it useful. Not at the time I might add, but later.

Sunlight is shimmering across my garden as leaves flutter gently in the breeze and birds flitter round the feeders. I slow my breathing down and let the beauty of nature calm me. I am so lucky to live where i do.

That was definitely a 20 second time out.

LUSH.x

Archived