Mental Health Forums

Newbie Saying Hi.

Ravenwing

I'm a newbie to this forum and have no clue what to say here. :-( I have a number of mental health issues and take a hatful of meds. I've been in a bad place recently and just need to sound off to someone who understands. Nobody in my family does. Sorry for the ramble, I just don't know what to say. So, erm... Yeah. Hi.

At the moment, like hell. I missed my last psych appointment through illness last week. I've been given a new one for the middle of December. I'm just trying to get by each day, but that is getting harder.

Hey and welcome, they are a lovely bunch here, I haven't posted much but I read a lot. I'm apparently on a roll tonight!

You sound like you've been through the mill with it all and need a listening ear.

Do you have any other support apart from the psych? Are you under the mental health team or have a supportive GP?

Keep talking, things will get easier.

I know this sounds impossible but have you asked for more support? Unfortunately when we feel at our worst and don't feel able to ask for help is usually when we need it the most.

I know you are medicated, and if you're seeing a psych for these I am guessing you're on a bit of a cocktail (a lot of us are!)..... but has the psych mentioned any talking therapies or added support?

It's utterly crap, but it does depend on who you speak to and where you live as to the help you are offered. It shouldn't happen like that, but most of the time it's luck of the draw.

You can tell me to mind my own business and I won't be offended at all, but have you been given a diagnosis?

I am sorry you don't have the help you deserve, please don't give up though.

I have a lot of diagnoses. Bipolar, PTSD, OCD, BPD, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, agoraphobia and a shitload of other phobias too. :-(

Diagnoses keep life interesting ;)

Most people would fill some sort of criteria anyway, it might make us feel isolated but actually it makes us part of something.

I have GAD too, or at least I used to. As well as BPD, MDD and who knows what else..... BUT, and I know I will probably always have BPD (the most prominent of my "disorders"), things do get better.

It took time, a LOT of time, various cocktails of medications over the years and over a decade of therapy, but I am actually doing ok now.

I am not saying it will take a decade. Psychological therapy was much less evolved when I was first diagnosed and I was young. I didn't start being taken seriously until I was 17 and even then it was a case of whatever antidepressant was popular and basic counselling for a couple of sessions.....

People do manage their lives with mental health issues, it might take a few tries and a hell of a lot of hard work (from you and the professionals) but it can be done. You have to be ready though, and that's not something you can force.

I think what I am trying to say, in a very roundabout way, is that things won't always feel this unbearable.

Believe me I know how awful the lows feel, how black and never-ending it can be. If someone had told me a year ago I would be where I am now I would have laughed at them. I thought I was a no-hoper, a lifer, doomed to misery forever. But that's just not true. I have a glimmer of hope, a goal, something to work for and the opportunity to do that. It does happen, you will find peace, but please don't stop looking for it.

Thank you so much. I tried this morning to get through to my psychiatrist's secretary to ask if there was any chance of getting an early appointment. No chance at all. So it looks like I will be swimming through the mud a little longer.

Hi Ravenwing, warm welcome on the forums. I'm sorry you're not well at the moment. I know how desparing it can be but I agree with Br0kenw1ngs that things will slowly get better. Before I thought that nobody could save me, that I was going to die of suicide, but as time passes and after several years of therapy, I start to see a glimmer of hope and green grass. I suggest you to ask your psychiatrist about therapy or mental health team. Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like a private chat. We'll always have an ear for you. Hugs.

Thank you guys. Threemoons, whenever I talk about what I feel I need to my Psychiatrist, he just glazes over and I get the feeling that he'd just rather be anywhere than in that room with me. I will ask about help. I just hope it's not too late.

Archived