Mental Health Forums

Being Driven Mad

Eagleheart

I have tinnitus & it's driving me mad. It's not just a mild ringing in the ears. It's buzzing & humming & white noise,all at full volume. Right now,it's making it impossible to hear the dialogue on my tv. It ruins it when i try to have a quiet moment. It never goes away. My gp checked my ears & said it was all clear,but it is affecting my quality of life. It probably sounds daft,but it's like some dreadful form of torture. I feel like i am going insane.

I can only liken this to hearing the constant drone of pneumatic drills in the road outside my flat when they were resurfacing the road. Even then it was through closed windows and I was able to go out and escape the noise.

It must be unbearable for you, to be unable to turn the volume down or distract yourself from it.

Is there anything at all that you find helpful?

Thinking of you.

It never goes away. Whatever i do,it's there. I have to have the radio on at night because the noises are deafening if the room is silent. If i press my ears shut it just intensifies the sounds. It is a hellish condition. There is no escape from it. It sounds like such an inocuous thing but believe me,it makes me feel unhinged & even suicidal.

Sorry for droning on. I feel stupid even talking about it but it really is getting to me.

Please don't apologise, you really have nothing to apologise for. I can't even begin to imagine how awful this is for you. I am certain if it was the same for me I would be driven to the same desperate thoughts.

I have very little knowledge of tinnitus, but the little I do know sounds terrible.

I have issues escaping my thoughts, let alone them on top of an insatiable noise.

I'm sorry Eagle, don't know what to do other than not being in total silence apart from your tinnitus. You can switch on a ventilator for example. Really sorry I can't help. Huge hugs to you.

Thankyou for being so kind. It means a lot.

I recently discovered i also have a condition called misophonia,which is an intolerance to certain trigger sounds. For me,it's my hubby's noisy eating & when he whistles through his teeth. I am consumed by rage & have to stop myself being violent.

It seems that issues with noises are going to be my tormentors. Seriously. It makes me so fucking angry.

I'm the same eagle, I find when I'm more anxious the noises in my ears are worse and at night I can't hear any noises but my ears like even if the kids got up to the toilet I wouldn't hear them my ears are so loud. It does ease sometimes I know that's not much use though. I'm the same when it comes to eating my partner is so noisy and this old lady I know who I meet at advocates meetings is so noisy even when she drinks I just want to smash something the rage it creates is awful in general my ears are sensitive to noise, hugs eagle I hope your ok xx

Eagle it sound very tough to have to deal with, I get what you mean about certain sounds riling you up- i used to get like that with chewing and also with this weird thing one of my friends used to do when he drank, just went right through me and i wanted to rage!

As for the tinnitus, perhaps you could look for things to help online? There's a tinnitus support page i think on the net and that may be a place to start. Also maybe take a look at your diet as some people can find their diet affects their tinnitus.

*big hugs*

Thanks for sharing that with me Addy.

Thankyou so much kitsune. It never even crossed my mind to search online! I'm definitely going to do that.

Today,there's 2 noises going on. The first is like the piercing sound you get when you run your finger around the rim of a glass. It's constant & feels like its coming from deep inside my brain. The second sound is a nasty screechy high pitched buzz but i only hear it in one ear. I've got the volume on the tv up quite high but the noises dominate everything. Oh god,i just want it to stop.

A million thankyou's ravenwing. Your support & compassion really gives me a boost. I hope today has treated you well. X

Archived