Mental Health Forums

Weekends

PDBPD

Nice idea Steve.

The only way I can survive most weekends is by sleeping until lunchtime. Then I have to get up to take my lovely dog out - she is so patient with me but sooner or later she will come and nudge me until I get out of bed. After that walk I generally come in and partake in the battle in my mind between whether or not I'm gonna eat lunch or not (know I need to but will try and get out of it with one excuse or another) and then go back to sleep on the sofa in front of the tv.

I hate the fact that I waste most of my days off by sleeping them away, I really do.

Sometimes though, the only way I can get through the week is by telling myself it is only x days until I can sleep like that.

It is definitely a coping strategy - sleep is my form of escapism - and compared to what I otherwise could be doing it is probably the safest option but I wish I could enjoy my time off like 'normal' people.

I normally try to plan something for a weekend, just one thing which will mean me being with people/someone. It just helps me to break the weekend up and give me something to look forward to :)

Artemis, when we were working we spent week-ends sleeping too. It was as if the working days were draining us and when Sunday came we had no energy. Even eating and washing ourselves was an effort. If you sleep that much it's probably that you need it, as Steve said. I agree that it's also a mean of escaping. And I also wanted to enjoy my week-ends like most people but it never happened.

It's good that you see people, Jenny. This way you can spend good moments with the persons who matter.

Are week-ends hard for you, Steve?

I find that planning something on a weekend to do with friends or alone, that gets me out of the house for a bit, can be a useful way to make my mood a bit better. Something like walking in a park, watching a film, or doing a sport if I'm feeling up to it, that can really help pass those long hours and cheer up a day.

Playing computer games or reading in the library for hours also helps - assuming you don't have work to do :(

and when weekends are really hard - a small list of achievable tasks, with no worries about finishing all of them, can help me. like brushing my teeth, leaving bed for five minutes, changing my clothes. that sort of thing, though admittedly it can still be exhausting some days.

Typical weekend...a run on both mornings..grocery shopping...cycle group meet fortnightly and I attend AA groups. Within that the occasional date...some family meet ups. Sorry Threemoons didn't answer your question..yes they can be

Shiny..I think you have the right ideas to try getting out if possible

Steve

Archived