Mental Health Forums

Stress And Changes

Data

I'm forcing myself to go through some positive lifestyle changes at the moment - I won't say any more about that at the moment, until I've got somewhere with the changes. Except to say that making any change to a routine is something I find difficult.

My work is very stressful as I have a complex computer science project to do all by myself that takes years, I am struggling, and there has been friction with my boss. Its getting easier though, but its still a bumpy ride.

At the moment my wife is stressing me out as she is worried about money. This is despite the fact that we have no debts and about £15000 in the bank lol. She is worried about our autistic son going away on a school trip tomorrow, which is understandable. However, he has an assistant with him so he will be fine. I can't talk to my wife at the moment as she just winds me up.

Today has been difficult. I've been dealing with the consequences of my wife's behaviour - she is so messy and leaves used sanitary towels in the laundry basket, so I've been tidying up after her. Something breaks in our kitchen every month, we put a new one in last year and its been nothing but trouble. The washing machine refuses to spin and my wife won't do anything about it - she is the one who will be in when they come around since I work full time and she only works Sundays.

And I have work tomorrow... I am REALLY not looking forward to that stress :(.

I am seeing a counsellor on Wednesday. I've had therapy before and sometimes its worked, sometimes its not. But at the moment with all these changes and stress I feel I need some support. And I've not got a pdoc or anything, I just get antidepressants from the doctor. This time I've managed to get 6 free counselling sessions through my work, they have an employee assistance programme. So I'm going to make use of it!

I am hoping to talk about techniques for coping with stress and for coping with difficult emotions with the counsellor. I have a lot of mood swings and I still find them hard to deal with.

I crashed my car last week and did £2000 worth of damage. Its the second crash this year and both were my fault :(. Fortunately nobody was injured and its drivable.

Sometimes I just want to run away :confused:.

Sorry you feel like running away, Data. Glad you didn't injure yourself in the car crash. Be safe.

Thanks Threemoons. I've noticed you have been very supportive to a number of people on here.

Well, I'm trying to support people the best I can. Sometimes I don't succeed in giving that and I deeply regret it.

How has been your day?

Hi data, I can imagine the current situation being stressful for you. What works for me in stressful days is making lists of the jobs that needs to be done. Like write everything that is wrong with the house on the list (even when you are not going to fix it immediately). For me, I try to empty my head and put all the stressful things on paper. You can't fix everything at once so what you have is a organized list. Some things are already on my list for several months but then I don't have to worry about it so much. I'm not saying that it works all the time but it might calm you down. Also, maybe you can try to sit somewhere with your eyes closed and think of your worries, for example your son and that it's gonna be fine. Then relax and take some breaths and try to empty your mind. Hope this might help you a bit :)

Cool job btw, I'm also interested in cs :)

Take care

Hi data, I can imagine the current situation being stressful for you. What works for me in stressful days is making lists of the jobs that needs to be done. Like write everything that is wrong with the house on the list (even when you are not going to fix it immediately). For me, I try to empty my head and put all the stressful things on paper. You can't fix everything at once so what you have is a organized list. Some things are already on my list for several months but then I don't have to worry about it so much. I'm not saying that it works all the time but it might calm you down. Also, maybe you can try to sit somewhere with your eyes closed and think of your worries, for example your son and that it's gonna be fine. Then relax and take some breaths and try to empty your mind. Hope this might help you a bit :)

Cool job btw, I'm also interested in cs :)

Take care

I also find making lists very helpful. I do it at work and at home. Today I've done a mix of tidying, shopping, gardening, housework, and organising for a club that I run.

CS is very interesting :).

Well, I'm trying to support people the best I can. Sometimes I don't succeed in giving that and I deeply regret it.

How has been your day?

My day has been relaxed and last week wasn't too bad.

However I have a deadline at work on Friday (5 days time) and I have a feeling I'm not going to make it, and its scaring me!

Happy that your day was relaxed and your week not too bad. Any easier day is good to take!

As for the deadline, I know you'll do the best you can. Sometimes the goals we are given are not that realistic.

Take good care.

Archived