Mental Health Forums

Social Problem: Do People Like Me?

Abigail.2905

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is someone that can give me some advice.

In every social situation (but more when I look up to people) I need other people to like me. I constantly think whether they like me or not. I need them to like me. Afterwards, I can think the whole day about, for example, a normal phone call or conversation and think of all the moments when I acted strange or why that person would think that I'm stupid.

It's getting really annoying. My head is so full with thoughts about what other people (might) think of me and how I acted in certain situations. I can't let it go.

I want to ignore it but I don't know how. I know I shouldn't care so much.

Any advice?

I do the same your not alone in thinking like this, be careful what you post as I was called manipulative and playing the victim for writing a post similar to this and if your anything like me it hurts to hear that when you are genuine. What I was to by my therapist is that everyone is different and not everyone thinks like we do so the majority of people won't have picked up in how we feel or how we are thinking about how we acted it what we said sorry if I'm not making much sense but I totally get what you mean xx

Hi Abigail. I used to think a lot about what other people thought about me and weather they liked me or not. What helped me to make it less important is the constant reassurance from my therapist and relatives, and also to know that people usually don't think much of someone's behavior unless it is very very strange. I mean that people don't over-analyze others. And if you did nothing to upset them, there's no reason they wouldn't like you. Don't know if this will be helpful but wanted to say that I was a bit like you before. Take care.

Archived