Mental Health Forums

Can't Take The Heat!

b0bulat0r

Hi Guys

I very much doubt anyone is going to be able to relate to this post because i'm pretty "odd"

I like the cold, I am attuned to cold and cold doesn't bother me, I've seen several peoples status's on here about being cold/frozen and hating it,

I am pretty immune to cold, I work in an office that has equipment which needs to be kept cool, I have an Air Conditioner in here which is on all year, the temperature is kept low and staff members who come into my room often comment "my god how do you work in here its freezing"

Well cold doesn't bother me, I can hold ice in my hands, crush it with my teeth, it really doesn't effect me much.

However I HATE heat and really can't stand it,

Now the problem I've got is that my family complains all the time about the cold, so they put the central heating on in the house. now I have Tried and tried to find a way to separate/switch off my radiator from the rest but I just don't know how to do it.

the end result is that my room becomes super hot like the rest of the house. the issue is its not really the heat but the fact that I can't stand "artificial heat", When heaters/radiators are on I find the air stuffy and i find it hard to breathe, I get headaches I feel really nauseous and I just generally feel very ill.

I've been having to open my window and turn on my fan every evening just to feel like I can breathe.

I think the combination of heat and cold at once is starting to make me ill. I know it certainly can't be good for me.

I wish I could just turn the damn radiator off in my room but I can't figure out how to separate mine from the others.

Am I the only person who finds "heaters" etc make them feel ill??

I think it's probably quite common, I don't like cold but then again if it's too hot i get irritated and can't stand it either, no winning i guess! My other half is very immune to the cold but if it's hot he just melts and i've known quite a few people who don't like the heat just as much as those who don't like the cold.

As for the artificial heat thing i know where you're coming from, whenever i've left the heating on particularly overnight if i'm sleeping i'll wake up feeling 'dried out' .Most often with a headache and feeling stuffy so i think artificial heat can induce that.

As for what to do, as you've said opening the window and having a fan or an air cooler on is the only thing i can think of. You may need to leave them on for a bit while you're at work so that your room is ok when you get back.

This isn't odd xx

bobulator - no -

we love to be warm - but too much makes us feel crap

we cant have heating on in the mornings unless it is seriously cold - or else we don't wake up

we get headaches

dry itchy skin

and incredibly sleepy

we need fresh air

and especially where you work with loads of IT equipment - don't blame you at all for wanting cool air

like kit - we seem to feel extremes more than others

and when we are cold our body sort of goes into spasm and our muscles all tighten and it actually hurts - esp with sudden changes in temp.

now we have hot flushes! - great! - but the rest of the time we seem to feel the cold/hot more than ever

at least if we are cold we can move around more to warm up

being too hot is really shit

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Reasons why being cold isn't a problem

1) Put more clothes on

2) hide in a blanket

3) Excuse for Snuggles!

Reasons why being hot sucks

1) being sticky and sweaty and nasty

2) limit to what you can take off! sometimes when I am hot I want to pull my skin off!

3) feeling ill from heat - headaches, nausea, dryness.

Yea being cold is clearly better,

I just want the heater in my room disabling so I don't have to open the window/put on a fan.

(((bobulator)))...I have to admit, I have to be warm, but one of my closest colleagues experiences heat in just the way you do..........she cannot stand it...........so, we have had some interesting times when we have been working together............I know she gets so distressed when its hot............and I get so distressed when its cold................I have to admit though, even though I like to be warm and have the central heating on (and jumpers and scarves), I have to have a window open still............even though it lets heat out..............but I also have to breathe..............heat sucks oxygen out of the air and without ventilation I can get terrible headaches and dehydrate...............Now, to your radiator............What sort of radiator is it, and what system...........it must be possible to turn yours alone off, without upsetting the rest of the system..............Could you post a pic of your radiator?........I'm not a radiator expert but I have had a long association and obsessive relationship with the 11 I have in my house.........and I learned from fiddling with the valves.............or should I say............I learned how to shut them off...............If they were similar to mine, I might be able to help.................If not, do you know a friend or a plumber who might be able to shut it off for mates rates?

You aren't odd in your needs to not be hot, not at all...............just must be so difficult to live in a hot house, cos the rest of your family like it that way..................I hope your radiator can get sorted..........Pickles

Hi Bobulator. I'm sensitive to extremes as well so I understand how it can be a problem for you. I hope that you can post a pic of your radiator and describe it so that Pickle or someone else can help. In the meanwhile, you can open your window, put a ventilator on and suspend a humidified tissue in front of it. Be sure to drink enough water too to prevent dehydratation and headaches/nausea.

Archived