Mental Health Forums

Panic Attacks :(

addy2

I was just sitting watching TV when I felt hot then dizzy then bam panic need to get out I need to escape run out of the door to the kitchen shaking and try drinking water then I start to shake still dizzy and terrified. Why does this happen to me I hate it now I'm shaky and will be for hours I don't understand why I can't keep this I ,can't get this under control what can I do?

Hi Addy,

I don't have any sound advice, I experience panic attacks but I only get mine outside in the world, even at work when I get them I am ok in my office, so for me I know I have a safe place (my office at work or my bedroom at home) where I can go to, for me panic attacks go very quickly when I get to my safe place.

the problem is obviously if I get a panic attack somewhere where I can't get to one of my safe places. then they can make me violently ill, (sickness, stomach upset, migraine)

I wish I had some way to help, just wanted to reply to your post to let you know my thoughts are with you and I hope you managed to get some rest from it soon.

xx

Thankyou so much for the reply it's nice to know you care. I get then anywhere and everywhere and have no safe place I really wish I did. When I get them I want to run escape but I don't know where I'm running too. I couldn't sleep last night I was too anxious and today had therapy so I'm still feeling very anxious and panicky. They are horrible aren't they bObulator I'm glad you have a safe place at work to makes it a bit more bearable for you xx

I'm sorry you two keep getting panic attacks. Addy, could you make your bedroom into a safe place by whatever mean is available to you? I thought that if you don't have a safe place now you can maybe create one?

I remember reading that it is always good to have a place either where you work or where you live to go to where you can calm yourself.

At work, strangely relaxed myself in a cubicle in the loos ie by deep breathing and attempting my meditations ie only quiet place.

At home it used to be lying down on my bed and focussing on deep breathing.

Did experience many panic attacks a heck of a lot times ago. Didn't give in though but did take time out whenever I could to go to my place of calm to relax myself.

ie Associatiing a certain place where you are calm and even being present in that place a couple of weeks into doing this, can be just all you need to do sometimes.

ie it is your place where you can chill.

But if panic attacks continue, definitely consider an appointment with the GP I guess.

I used to be able to do that my bedroom was a safe place but not anymore I feel scared no matter where I go it what I do, it ruins everything. Or I used to be able to distract out of it but I don't know how I lost it all again, spoke to my therapist today who called my psychiatrist who wants me to up the quietapine to 400mg as my mood was so manic as well they don't help the panic attacks though, Thankyou everyone xxx

I understand addy. Also have dual diagnosis too.

Pain in the butt, I know, but there is hope. As you say you used to be able to calm yourself so there is no doubt at some time you will be able to again.

I know it may not seem like it right now, but recovery is possible. Been where you are currently most definitely.

But am in a better place right now.

All I can say is I hope things pick up for you very very soon. Take care.

Thanks complex lemon I really hope so I really hope things get better this is the worst it's ever been can't even tolerate the traffic when I'm driving that's a new thing to me. I'm glad things improved for you xx

400mg Quetiapine Addy. It's a low dose in my world.

I am on Quetiapine too, but my daily dose is 800mg, but am not dozy really in anyways.

It did take time to bed in - only side effect I have got is weight gain, which rather irritatingly isn't evenly spread arounds me but all in the stomach region.

Think I am six months pregnant which is a miracle because I am a man. Lol.

Other than that though, it is helpful.

Keep us informed how you are getting on though.

Very best wishes.

complex-lemon

Lol yeah it causes weight gain I was over weight to start with but he said the benefit would out weigh that so we'll see. The duty officer called me back and said it was unlikely the meds were causing my high mood an agitation so just keep going and call them if I need too, I stayed in bed all day feeling crap. 400 is high enough for me I refused meds for yrs and started at 50mg in jan I hate taking meds it's been a slow process. I hope you had a good day complex lemon? X

Addy...how are you now? I don't want to be offensive...as a man this could be taken as a peculiar question, if you are uncomfortable with my asking I will understand.

Could these panic attacks be hormonal??

Steve

Complex Lemon...the weight around the waist line could be improved by cutting out all saturated fat from your diet. Try and eat fibrois food to keep your metabolism moving

Steve

I'm not offended at all Steve and your right you have a point I find some of them are hormonal and a few nights I don't sleep because I am so anxious I know why if that makes sense? But others are so random and can happen any time I just get a feeling I need to escape today is one of those days and have no idea why but I know something is bothering me somewhere I just wish I knew what it was x

• 2 months later...

Archived