Mental Health Forums

Talking To Teddys?

Charlotte824

As a child I was always convicted my teddies have souls , and I remeber getting o the age where everyone got rid of theirs , and I was like what!!! I also never saw toy story till my teen years , and when this girl told me that she didn't believe , I was like , why do you even have them if they arnt real , i don't know what I think anymore , but does anyone else have this belief ?

Mine definitely have souls. My son and two daughters are what most people might call teddies but they're real to me. My therapists see them as a positive influence and accept them as real. It's only a problem if they start making you feel bad and telling you to do bad things but you could say the same about 'real' people.

If they're real to you then they're real. Enjoy them and love them however you want to, that's all that matters.

I have a female friend in her late fifties, she has forbidden her grandchildren from playing with a teddy she has, they are too rough and she doesn't want he/she pulled around:)

Steve

Hi Charlotte. I don't think that every plush or toy have a soul but I know that wandering souls can often want to link themselves to loved objects to get closer to the material world. A lot of them seem to link to children's objects as it's known that children are more sensitive to souls than adults. I'm sorry if the term object is offensive to you, the object is a lot more than just an object once a soul has linked to it. I just lack a more appropriate term for it. Anyway what's real to you is real, don't torture your brain over this.

Can I ask how your relation to teddies have evolved with you aging?

I got rid of my plush and toys when I was in my 20+ years but I made sure before that all the friendly souls had leaved them. It was still a very uneasy act. Three of them have still souls linked to them though I don't hear them anymore now that I've aged. I've kept them for my child insider, she still occasionally cuddles and talks to them.

• 5 weeks later...

I've always been brought up "knowing" that bears are alive & they've been a big part of family life, still are. I have times when I think maybe a 36 year old man shouldn't interact with bears but mostly, bugger it, they understand, they're there and they're company. Since Mum died, her vast collection of bears is doing a great job of looking after my Dad.

And I had a friend at uni who decided to get rid of her bears, then wrote a short story about it which ended with the line "and so here I sit, the black sack in the corner making occasional small noises, the sound of bears trying to be brave." How can anyone with a soul not believe after that.

Archived