Mental Health Forums

I'm Trying, I Just Don't Like Her

Dove

My lay counselor that is. The first time I saw her, she attacked my parenting method. I told her that I would not talk about it but she kept pushing. That should have been my warning.

Today I went off on her for something that was a mistake on her part, but really rubbed me the wrong way. First to mention, she is a Christian counselor. So, she was praying for me and called me Tina! My name is Rachel Now I don't know if anybody else would have been upset by this or if it's just me but that really upset me. I told her that and she said "I had a client by that name in here before you." Well dang, I know she was trying to explain herself but it didn't go over well. I told her that I was leaving so she could keep working on Tina's problems.

I think I really freaked her out. I'm wondering if I should go back next week. What would you do?

go back...

you dont have much to lose give her a few more opportunities... i think your gripe about her using the wrong name was valid, she should have appologized.

just use her to vent... if you dont like her after a few more times ask to see someone else... if you cant see anyone else, quit then

I think only you know the answer to that one. People can say what they would do if it was them in that situation, from past experience, I only can say what I have been taught. so here goes.

If you do not particularly like your counsellor etc, then the therapy may not work for you and it will not be good for either of you, however you do need to give it a few times to make your mind up.

For your counsellor to get your name wrong (I know people can make mistakes and she is only human) but I think that is not very professional at all and absolutely disgusting and I do not blame you for walking out and saying to her what you said as I think I would have done the same. She should now be ashamed of herself for making that blunder and go back to basics.

God knows how that made you feel but do not let it put you off future counselling as they do not all do that.

It is now your choice to forgive and forget or change counsellors. If it means that you will be waiting ages, then it may be best to give her another go but give her some ground rules first!

She should not be judging you either!

Archived