Mental Health Forums

Generalised Anxiety Disorder/free-Floating Anxiety

piercepd

What ho, all.

So I had a very miserable phone call from an old lady of my acquaintance this morning who has recently been diagnosed with the above and has days on end where she can hear the beat of her heart constantly in her brain. She's not been told much about it and it's not something of which I've got any experience. Does anyone have knowledge or experience they could share that I can pass on?

Ta,

PD

all we know it is a sort of general feeling of anxiety that doesn't necessarily have any particular triggers

we have had the label on and off!!

and we know someone who had it when he was a teenager and he was in a terrible state with it

its like a pervasive anxiety and it feels like every which way you turn something makes it worse

meds is the only thing that has helped us with it - and the person we knew

although BEWARE valiums (the '...pams') they often seem to put older people on these and we find the make our anxiety escalate through the roof!!

if they are on them

then personally would say get them out of the system (for us it takes a solid 4 weeks to do this) and then things might calm down a bit - try alternatives

also when we were in psych hosp - we were on the dementia assessment ward (just need to add here, that they also took other patients!!!!)

lots of the older people seemed to become very anxious after major life changes like someone close dying, moving out of their home, suddenly facing living alone when a partner dies, or after suddenly being ill - it really knocks them off balance (have personal family experience of this too)

gosh

ended up writing loads

hope there is something of use in there

x

ed. also want to add that we witnessed several patients being put on valiums as soon as they were on ward - and their anxiety got worse and worse

the staff claimed it was dementia but we disagree

family members would say how they couldn't understand why they got worse

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have general anxiety disorder which they also call free floating anxiety there are no specific triggers just a horrible feeling of being highly anxious and afraid all the time. Different things help at different times sometimes getting out of the house breaks it a bit and helps distract, but as walker says meds is mostly the main thing. It's a horrible disorder and can rule your life totally. Xx

we are slipping back into it atm

anxious about programmes we watch, puzzles we do, shoes to wear, weather, food, life, just about everything

yes

just this fear inside

Thanks for the replies guys, it sounds a horrible one! I'm passing on suggestions and trying to keep her distracted. she's on xanex atm, is that one that helps or hinders in your experiences? She's complaining most of a constant banging in her head which won't abate.

well hope they are checking her out physically to rule out other issues

don't know anything about xanex

ok ed. just googled Xanax - - It is a benzo - so a valium

and our opinions on that are as above

but of course not everyone reacts to it like we do

she needs to see if there is a link between things getting worse and going on the med

I hate how professionals will say its triggered by a thought but when you have a hundreds of thoughts its impossible to pick one. I've had anxiety since my first child was born 21 yrs ago. I used to have hope it would go away but experience tells me its more to be managed than cured. I was told it comes from my subconscious that whatever us causing it is hidden and unless I deal with that I'll always be anxious. Like even now writing this I'm anxious I wake up anxious and go to sleep anxious I almost jealous of people who I meet who say they used to have anxiety, how did they get rid of it x

she did say it seemed to get worse at that point but yeah, they're checking her physically too but you know what doctors are like.

And yeah addy, was having this conversation with humblegrub just yesterday, that they just make a proclamation then and there when they see you for five minutes without taking into account the 160 things more that are going on in your head!

• 2 weeks later...

This is called anxiety disorder. Many people are having this problem but all have different symptoms. It is recommended to take her to any treatment center providing services for anxiety disorder.

Archived