Mental Health Forums

Curiosity Around Difference Online Anonymity And Real Life

scabroabyssplea

First of all, I wasn't really sure in which section to leave this thread, but thought since it's still like 'new member curiosities' about this forum and not directly related to any of the other mental health conditions, maybe post it here.

I am still not really sure how to go about writing about my issues. It's going to be weird and some getting used to, seeing my thoughts typed out on a screen. I am still really self-concious of all that I type (I am not great with computers), probably because of the fact that it's vulnerable and out there for everyone to see (even though I realize everyone starts of being anonymous and most remain to be that) and potentially to be criticized (which are my habitual thoughts as I realize that criticism is not something which is encouraged on this forum) which frightens me a lot. It likely requires me some getting used to and to develop some trust which comes with positive experiences, I reckon.

I wonder, this is going to be my question, as I am trying to see myself as well, how using typing on a forum/the internet for sharing and talking about much personal stuff, that you would or might normally not share with so many or anyone at all in life, is different from the real, non-anonymous life? Again, I am really sorry if this is a very obvious matter to everyone, but my understanding of computers (and many other modern technologies...) is very limited, which is the current reality.

Hi Scabro. I'm sorry, English isn't my native language and I don't understand your question. Could you please try to simplify your wording?

I think that a difference is that here people are all here for the same reason; theyre suffering and need some kind of support. Having that in common makes people here more understanding mostly then I think people in rl who know often little about mental health conditions or have a lot of prejudice about it.

I think also that being anonymous, gives one the chance to get people to know you purely for your mind. Looks,money, status all these things play no part here.

Whats nice is that you can always post here and get support no matter what time of day or night, you cant in real life for instance just call someone in the middle of the night.

It also doesnt matter how often you post.

As people here have lots of experience with mh issues they can share often helpfull advice.

A lot of people find it easier to type then talk, you can take your time to word things etc.

Archived