Mental Health Forums

Help! I'm Trying To Live With Bpd In My Family.........

Davidtory

Hi............

This is my first post. My wife is a BPD sufferer, after a long and dark downhill for me, with us both struggaling to come to terms with my wife's mental state, which was only diagnosed as BP a year ago, I suffered a breakdown a month or so ago, and made a 'light' attempt on my own life.

I love my wife very much and we have two lovely children, M (my wife) is a high functioning visible BP, does not self harm outwardly, turns the majority of her angry and hate inwards and is in full addmission of her condition but does not embrace the help on offer to her.

I am looking to this site as a means to find others who may be in a similar position, or anybody who might have insites they may wish to share. I feel as though I must be the only person alive trying to live through this, but know I can not be!!

Kind regards

David

Hi David, I can hear how desperate you feel. Sorry that it has been so hard on you. I think that it's always great that non-bpds come and ask for support to people that might suffer from bpd. We have a lot to learn from one another.

I think that your wife does need to start engaging with the help on offer because it will be very difficult to improve without therapy. Therapy is very difficult because it opens up the hurt and the pain that is stored inside. There are many recovery stories and bpd is now a condition that has a positive prognosis with treatment. I hope that your wife can get the courage to face such a difficult diagnosis.

There are lots of books written for families of people with bpd and also forums where other families share their experiences of living with people with bpd. You also need support. Have you got something in place for you? Maybe it would be good to hear from people that are going or went through the same as you? There are forums for bpd families.

Please do keep posting and asking as many questions as you wish.

Hi David

When I started reading your post I thought it could have been my own husband who wrote it. Although I am taking the help on offer and I hope your wife can too. I am just new here too.

I hope things work out for you all, I have 2 children too.

Mischa

Hi there david :). I am a b p d sufferer and have been for many years before i was diagnosed. I am on a lot of meds to control the various faces that b p d has. I also have autisum a d h d and i am blind also.

Hi David,

I almost thought you were my ex husband as he is called David. I am a BPD sufferer just waiting to start therapy now, with the help of my very kind ex husband funding some private work as the NHS are failing to offer me anything. I have had an initial assessment and will have my first session next week, and i am now terrified. i want to do it and i will but it has taken a long time to get here. my ex and i knew i had BPD and the doctors still try to fob me off with 'emotional instability disorder' which is a way of getting away with not offering me more help. but another psych has agreed that BPD is right and so am getting the help. but as i said, its very frightening and have been feeling very anxious today over it.

i hope your wife will embrace it soon and start the steps to rebuild and cope with life.

i lost my whole marriage home and family almost because of bpd and it was that that got me to seek help. i hope it doesnt go that far for you

Archived