Mental Health Forums

I Think I Have Aspergers?

McCray

I think I may have aspergers but it hasn't been officially diagnosed?Something with me is definitely not right. I have never been able to hold more than 2 friends at a time and the ones I have get sick of me because I have a tendency to talk in circles and I get extremely depressed most of time. I find my social skills are very poor. I feel extremely misunderstood the majority of the time and what I say solemn makes sense to others. I am creative and that's perhaps my biggest accomplishment in life. At school they know I am not there socially so I am in alternative program and have been for the last 3.5 years. Before high school kids would make fun of me because my strange behavior so I was in a room by myself. Looking back on it, I was stranger then. For example I would put my legs behind my head and play with sock puppets..that was 7th grade. When I was really young I would hide in closets and threaten to jump out the window anytime my parents got mad. I can remember one of my old friends..She's really smart and takes honors classes. In first grade we had a sleepover and she had to get my mom because I was threatening to jump out the window and die. After I got molested I became even more of a recluse and my social skills worsened. My parents thought at one point I could be suffering from this social disability. So my questions are 1- how do I getb tested? 2- do I seem to have this disorder based on the description? 3- is it normal to go undiagnosed until almost 18 years old?

We can't diagnose you with anything we aren't doctors you would need to speak you your gp and ask for an assessment to be done. I have three sons with autism and one wasn't diagnosed until he was 15. As far as I know though wanting to jump out of a window isnt part of Aspergers. Are you diagnosed with depression or any other disorders.

I dont know if you have aspergers your description of yourself could point to different things....Yes ask you GP to reffered for testing.

With Aspergers it happens quite often that people go undiagnosed for a long time or for life even. This is because people with Asperger though they run into trouble they are in general very able to function and cope.

As for being different then others, some of the best people I know are non standard :)

Hi

I suffer from aspergers myself so thought I'd put my two cents in,

I am very creative, I write stories and have my own world that i've designed,

I too struggle with social skills, I don't get out of my house, i don't enjoy crowds of people and i've only really got online friends now as I push all my real ones away.

I was not diagnosed when I was in middle school and struggled horribly, it was only when I got into upperschool (14) time that I was diagnosed and started to get proper support.

the thing with the autistic spectrum is that it is that a spectrum, it is very fast and some people function better than others, I personally believe everyone is a little bit autistic :P but just some of us register more on that spectrum,

I have a colleague who has a son with Aspergers who cannot function at all around people and is on the extreme end of the spectrum.

like the others said above it would be wrong for any of us to say yes you have it or not you don't, we are not trained medical professionals, you need to go to your GP and push for a diagnosis, I had an "unofficial" diagnosis for a long time and I had to practically beg for an official one, they asked me why I wanted it like would it make any difference to know for certain and I said YES yes it bloody would, it would let me at least explain this and explain why i can't function in certain situations etc.

go to your GP and push for a diagnosis, they will refer you on.

I personally believe everyone is a little bit autistic :P but just some of us register more on that spectrum,

Yup, I agree with that too!

I agree with that too. I certainly have an autistic part in me.

Archived