Mental Health Forums

Looking For Support & Friends - Bpd

zvbpd

Hi everyone,

I have been inspired to join this forum after my latest efforts. I have thought for many years I had either anxiety/depression, have been on medication after medication and to psychologist after counsellor etc. etc. and never had any real help. It wasn't until today after another tumultuous fight with my boyfriend (that was entirely my fault) that I decided to google my symptoms. I actually cried. There is not one symptom of BPD that does not fit my description perfectly.

So I am sort of relieved. But so upset :( What do I do now? I have an appointment with a psychologist next week - do I bring it up with her? Sorry i'm just so scattered and after a lot of googling have seen that it's basically incurable? I know i haven't officially been diagnosed but i've gotta say.. its looking pretty likely that I will be.

I just wish I was normal.

I would love some support. I don't know how to explain it to my boyfriend.

Zoe

hi

and welcome

its probably a good idea to talk to the psychologist about it and what their thoughts are

try not to TELL them, as they are more likely to dismiss it I think

it is not incurable

although personally we feel that it isn't something that will ever 'go' but rather something that we can learn to handle, to explain, and to 'hide'/control sometimes

also there are times/circumstances that make symptoms impossibly bad, but other times when things are not in such crisis

there are lots and lots of people on here who can listen and support you

Welcome Zoe! Whether or not you do have BPD, you're in a good place. Please please please do talk to your psychologist about your concerns. Nobody can help you if they don't know what's going on. And she will be able to help you find more helpful resources.

Do not be discouraged by what you read online. Many many people live very happy fulfilling lives with BPD. A lot of it has to do with you choosing to do what you need to in order to be healthy. Which we all know isn't always easy. But I'm pretty sure it's worth it.

It can be really scary to think about sharing these types of things with people close to you, especially a significant other. Tell him in your own time and in your own way, but I will tell you that having the people close to you know means they are better able to help you practice coping skills and identify areas where you may struggle.

You're doing the right thing by educating yourself and seeking help. If nothing else, please know that you are NOT a lost cause and BPD is not a death sentence.

Keep us posted on your journey and feel free to reach out for help and support here. Everyone is so wonderful.

Zoe- everything will be okay!

I recently found out I'm BPD and felt similarly to what you describe. I can't believe I've not known this until now, and yet, it answers SO many questions.

Read Get Me Out Of Here by Rachel Reiland and/or The Buddha & The Borderline by Kiera Van Gelder. Recovery happens!!!

Everyone previous is right- support is available, you are not alone, and recovery is possible.

Best to you!

Archived