Mental Health Forums

Shall I Take Part In A Trial For A Possible New Med For Bpd?

Afrika2015

It is called Lamotrogine. It is a mood stabiliser that is currently used for Epilepsy and Bipolar Disorder. This is the study I will be taking part in if I choose to accept : http://www.labile.org/

What are everyone's thoughts? I have a lot of time to make up my mind. Pros and cons to taking part?

Thanks,

Afrika2015.

lots of people take this for mood stabilising

its actually an epilepsy medication but has been found good for stabilising mood

it could be worth trying

I thought it was already quite commonly used for bpd

Are you aware that it is a double-blind study? Half the people will get Lamotrogine, half will get a placebo - and you won't know which group you are in. So if you start feeling better, you won't know if its because you had Lamotrogine, or if you were just getting better anyway.

I think the main reason for doing it would be if you want to help medical science. If you feel you want to contribute to research and maybe make a difference, then take part. But there is no guarrantee you will get anything out of it yourself.

Are you aware that it is a double-blind study? Half the people will get Lamotrogine, half will get a placebo - and you won't know which group you are in. So if you start feeling better, you won't know if its because you had Lamotrogine, or if you were just getting better anyway.

I think the main reason for doing it would be if you want to help medical science. If you feel you want to contribute to research and maybe make a difference, then take part. But there is no guarrantee you will get anything out of it yourself.

Yes, I am aware. I'd find out at the end though I think.

lots of people take this for mood stabilising

its actually an epilepsy medication but has been found good for stabilising mood

it could be worth trying

I thought it was already quite commonly used for bpd

Don't know tbh. Even if it is commonly used, that is different to it being the official drug for managing bpd symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually changed my mind due to my parents not being happy with me going ahead. I'd rather not cause my parents unnecessary stress.

Archived