Mental Health Forums

Sodium Valproate - Any One Been Prescribed This?

Charlie1986

I haven't started taking it yet but my psych has sent the medicine request through for this.

Has anyone had this before? I've never even heard of it.

Will it help me level off? So much to take in,

its another of the anticonvulsants (epilepsy meds) that they use for stabilising mood

don't know more, but there may well be people here on it, sure it has been mentioned before

Hi yes it is an anti convultant that also helps people to stabilize their mood.

I hope it helps you.

Please contact your doc if;

- You have severe side effects

- You are pregnant

- You feel worse on it ai suicidal, irritated etc

Not to be mixed with alcohol and some other meds so be carefull.

it will help you level off charly i been on it for a short time. It didnt agree with me so i had to come off it and try something else.

I get my prescription tonight. Here's go hoping something helps because right now I'm feeling a bit out of control. Still can't take it in properly that I've been diagnosed. I thought it would help me deal with it but now it's the most scary thing I've had to face. Stop the world I want to get off!

I've been given something else but it's similar. They have given me valporic acid instead.

It's depakote which I've never heard of but it seems to be used for mania and bipolar disorder rather than epilepsy.

I'm not sure how I'm going to react to it but I have to take them at night so we shall see when I take one. They have me on an extremely low dose. Reading the leaflet it says the usual is between 1000mg and 2000mg and I'm only on 250mg a day. Will this even help? I kinda feel like it's pointless taking it if its not going to do anything and ive just wasted £104 on a pre payment prescription thing. Maybe it's desperation talking and exhaustion.

Bit detached today.

Archived