Mental Health Forums

Interesting Article About Psychiatric Drugs

detroitguy

I am withdrawing from venlafaxine, at the rate the psychiatrists recommended and today I feel so ill from withdrawal symptoms. I wish I had said this was too quick when he told me what to do. now I have no energy to sort this out. but I have a pill cutter so will try to do it the best way I can. and I am starting on another anti de which I cant do until I am nearly off venlafaxine so stuck in a bad place for a few weeks. that how much psychiatry cares.

Interesting article, thanks for the link detroitguy. :)

Bluemoon - sounds like you are going through a tough time, really hope the withdrawal symptoms don't last too long for you.

Nice article, thanks for sharing it detroitguy. I am personally conflicted on my views on psychiatric drugs. Some have helped, and others haven't. The most frustrating part to me about some of these medicines is how they affect my appetite and weight gain. But I can say for sure stopping medicines cold turkey was a terrible experience for me. When it happened because I ran out of my antidepressants and anxiety medication the withdrawals were terrible. (this lasted for almost a month.) Now that I take a mood stabilizer and sitll have my antidepressant and anxiety medication, I'm doing much better than I have in a long time. However,getting to a point where I can say "let's reduce the dosage of my medication" is not anywhere near me right now. My life is still too unstable and uncertain for me to feel in control of anything.

I definitely think psychiatry should research and find a good way to help patients who are coming off of a medication. I'm surprised they haven't already since htey've been prescribing so many drugs for so long (there is much i don't know about psychiatry.) Hopefully this will change soon...

bluemoon: i'm so sorry you're going through that. i really hope things get better soon. can you ask someone for help in sorting this out?

Archived