Mental Health Forums

Stupid Illogical Depression

b0bulat0r

I get bouts of quite severe depression alot,

usually though its triggered by something I can put my finger on, there is either something that has really bothered me or lots of little things that have built up to form a huge amount of things that makes me feel trapped/buried.

Today I woke up feeling very depressed, I came into work and thus far I haven't really had a bad day, infact as work days go this one isn't turning out too bad, I don't have "any reason" to be depressed but I feel incredibly depressed like there is this dark cloud swarming around me and choking me,

I feel really low, really demotivated and totally empty,

I'm getting jobs done today but I feel like a robot, programmed to do his tasks, there is no emotion in it, no joy or achievement out of doing something,

why is this depression so stupid and illogical,

why do I feel this way without knowing why?

why am I depressed when I don't have a reason to be,

so frustrating, I can't seem to switch it off and I don't know why.

I can deal with the logical depression (I mean being depressed for a reason) when there is a problem or issue causing it, the solution is obvious to tackle or deal with that situation so it no longer causes stress.

How do you fight a foe you cannot see?

how do i stop this when I don't even know what causes it.

:(

I just feel like going back to sleep,

hate it when I feel so hollow.

I have heard it said that some people have depressions that are not reactive (to the environment), its more a "chemical imbalance".

Also, sadness is an emotion and emotions are not always logical, they are not meant to be. Sometimes perhaps your brain just gets fed up of fighting the same old things week after week and it just gets worn out. It doesn't have to be any specific trigger but lots of little things of the same things happening again and again.

Those are my thoughts anyway, I am not a professional as you know.

Take care of yourself and if necessary go to the doctor.

Sorry you are feeling so low right now bobulator, take care of yourself and after work try and do something kind for yourself x

I am tired ALL the time which does not help, I think you are right about not wanting to keep fighting the same battles,

its difficult though, being autistic I'm also opposed to change and there is an equal part of my brain that wants to fight the same battles because we are used to them, we can predict the outcome and although we might not like it or be happy its easier than dealing with a change, (which could be better or worse) and often being too afraid to make a change because of that phobia of change itself.

Depression is never stupid or illogical. There are loads of reasons why someone could feel this way. Maybe its something like you dont like your job, relationship problems, unhappy home life, excessive boredom, anxiety, low self-esteem, loneliness etc. It is common in someone with depression to not know what is causing it but try and look more deeply into your life and you might spot the answer. If this isn't helpful then it could possibly be your diet, what you eat and drink is a big contributor to how you feel. Also depression can be contagious, maybe someone around you is depressed, down or lonely. I hope you figure it out.

Depression is never stupid or illogical. There are loads of reasons why someone could feel this way. Maybe its something like you dont like your job, relationship problems, unhappy home life, excessive boredom, anxiety, low self-esteem, loneliness etc. It is common in someone with depression to not know what is causing it but try and look more deeply into your life and you might spot the answer. If this isn't helpful then it could possibly be your diet, what you eat and drink is a big contributor to how you feel. Also depression can be contagious, maybe someone around you is depressed, down or lonely. I hope you figure it out.

Hi Lilian

a combination of the above

1) My dad has been signed off for 2 weeks and is now signed off for 2 weeks more, he is on increased strength anti-depressants and constantly tells everyone he is suicidal,

2) Relationship problems = not had a girlfriend for 7 years, feel ugly, useless, unwanted, want to get married but don't think it is ever possible for someone like me so that constantly bothers me

3) work is stressful, I am the only person doing my job with 400+ users to keep happy, it never seems to get any easy and people constantly move goal posts.

4) had insomnia for 8 years now my sleep pattern is crap.

BUT

these things have been issues mostly for a long time and sometimes I manage ok or am not depressed, that is why i find it so hard at the moment because I am more depressed than usual I'm not really factoring the above in as reasons because they have "always been there"

I think the winter has a huge part to play where depression is conserned. It sertainly doesnt help. Have you considderde full sun light spectrum light bulbs? You have to order them online. I have one in my living room and its really helped lift my mood. The only things it dont give out is u v and infrared but it gives all the other light wave lengths. If it can help a blind persons mood it can help yours too.

Maybe having to deal with that stuff for so long has caused a downward spiral. The things you described like you father, not being in a relationship, stress, low self-esteem and insomnia are all very reasonable reasons for depression. A person can only take so much. Routine might be the cause, a routine when you have to deal with the same things over and over again. Of course i am not a professional but depression can wait for years before it surfaces and it is possible that you might have been depressed for a long time but you have only started to notice it recently. I'm just trying to cover all the bases to help you figure it out. As Maddy said it could also be seasonal depression of course that could strike at anytime of the year but winter is most common.

Archived