Mental Health Forums

Newbie. Recovery.

flan12

hey guys and girls, I'm new here but thought I'd go ahead and post a little topic about something I have been wondering.

I wondered whether people can recover from BPD, it's been two years almost since I left hospital and thankfully I haven't gone back and I haven't had a CPN or psychologist for about 17 months. I do still have dark days, more frequently at the moment. But I wondered whethe, if I were to be assessed again if I would have the same diagnosis. My behaviour is very different nowadays and I am much more rational, no longer psychotic and very rarely hurt myself.

What are your thoughts?

We are all different, I was diagnosised with bpd four years ago if anything I got worse I have never reached a point where I feel in recovery or even near recovered. It also depends what else is going on for you, people with several different diagnosis might not recover so well. You can ask to be assessed again.

would I be able to request a re-assessment when I go for a medication review? I have wanted to but have been a bit unsure as to how to go about it? Thanks for your reply :)

you can request to have your diagnosis re looked at if you think that would help. Go ahead. I would. Welcome to the forums by the way. :)

Welcome to the forum

I've been re-assessed a couple of times, mostly because the Councillors/therapists etc I've seen have doubted previous assessments and wanted second opinion, I think this is because I have changed and changed again so dramatically over the years.

thing is I could be assessed one week and re-assessed the next and you'd get a totally different outcome, it is hard to get an accurate picture when we suffer from such emotional extremes, even if asked questions like "over the last month have you" your own perception of how often or little you've felt or done things can change based on your current mood,

if I am feeling dark at the moment I might think I felt bad every day this month, if i am feeling positive I might say "I felt bad at times but its mostly ok"

so even the same criteria questions can get blurred.

also depending on "what level of help" I want or expect to get I've been known to play up or play down symptoms to get the reaction I want.

I think these things make it difficult for anyone to get an accurate assessment of another person.

Archived