Mental Health Forums

Gad And Bdd Stressing Me Out!

fearfulfool

I am so stressed out with myself right now!

I want new clothes, but ive started getting super anxious when in clothes shops. I will look around,see things i like and then have an anxiety attack. I want to buy them but the thoughts of people thinking i am trying too hard defeat me! I end up leaving the shop to prevent a major panic attack. Bad idea as ive got worse!

I was ok with online shopping, and would gradually have to wean myself off my older clothes and get myself used to my new stuff. Now im freaking over online shopping!

I am so frustrated with it all! I have several coats pretty much all the same. I have different ones i love but cant bring myself to wear them as theyre different.

Same with shoes. I have loads of different style shoes - i keep going back to my nike air max and i know i look far better in my boots or other brand new shoes ive got just sitting there but i worry about the change too much.

It is really stressing me out.

I forced myself to work the other day in a new pair of trousers and a pair of boots - I had to talk to somebody on the phone all the way their to keep my thoughts from focusing on my clothes! The week before i didnt go to work as i had a panic attack over those trousers!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your clothing is very very important to you. Perhaps in a way you are focussing on worrying about your clothing so you don't have to worry about other things in your life?

It sounds like an ocd thing, I have ocd since I was 19 and one of my obsessions is clothes and staying with what familiar because its safe, is that what it feels like? I sometimes have to get dressed when my partner is in the room as its too hard to decide what is safe for that day and sometimes I buy things I never wear I cant wear them x

I dont feel clothes are important to me. But i suppose my behaviour and thoughts point towards that they are. Strange. Maybe i am focusing on them to avoid other worries in my life?

It very well could be an ocd thing. I do have ocd traits. That is another thing i have noticed recently. I am tapping my fingers when my anxiety goes into overdrive.

I am anxious outside so my fingers usually tap on my e cig and when im eating i tap my leg as im anxious.

I dont know if that is ocd or just anxiety though.

The clothes i usually wear are my safe clothes. Even though i know people probably get sick of seeing me in them, it is far easier to deal with the change of new clothes and the thoughts i get around that idea.

I have got loads of clothes with the tags on still.

I am quite obsessive about coats, my cupboard is full of them, but i only wear one. It has turned into a joke in my family. If i do happen to change coats - it will look almost identical to my previous one and it will be the coat i wear for a long time.

Same with shoes!

Archived