Mental Health Forums

Trying To Understand Ocd

fearfulfool

Can it die down and you have minimal OC issues and then a stressful situation or what have you can somewhat trigger you into more OC symptoms?

I have found im a strong person (at least i thought i was), and could deal with stressful things in quite a calm manner.

Drama seems to hunt me down and as soon as one thing settles another crops up.

Every few months i end up with more symptoms and my anxiety sky rockets to out of control.

I am currently in the out of control bit. Which is leading me to seek the answers.

Forums is another thing - ill go missing once i settle down and then no doubt in another few months ill be back with new questions when i feel out of control again, probably about anxiety/ocd/bdd again!

Hiya

I used to suffer really badly from OCD prior to alot of my other issues surfacing, I thought I had gotten over my OCD and been cured from it and even though I am not as bad as I used to be I do find that stress and anxiety etc can bring out quite a few triggers for me,

I tend to find when i am having a stress that little things bug me which normally I'd be able to leave alone,

alot of mental health issues are interlinked or made worse by another issue or condition, I'm sure other problems going on can make OCD worse,

as I said I suffered from it immensely when I was a teenager but I don't so much generally now, so It is possible to get it under control,

I used to turn light switches on/off until i hit the exact part of the switch, tap objects as I put them down, if i put them in the wrong place or tapped them wrong i'd pick them up and do it again,

I used to wash my hands after i touched pretty much anything, I still wash my hands massively but not as compulsively as I used to, all sorts of things like that.

Hiya ff, I hope you can feel better soon again. From my personal experience, OCD can die down a little. I used to obsessively and constantly check on my first ex (which caused me considerable mental and emotional stress.) It's possible that a stressful situation or a trigger can cause your OCD to act up again. I find that it happens to me a lot when dealing with issues of animal abuse, politics, tragedies, and overall issues i can't fix. for example, sometimes when i go to pet stores i start panicking and worrying about all the animals and i have racing and pervasive thoughts and images of animal abuse so i end up crying and suddenly start to hurt myself in one way or another (i.e. scratching.) I find that when i'm having a dysphoric episode or anything else that makes my mood or energy go down, i start having racing thoughts again about unpleasant things and i can't concentrate on anything because of it. Like rob said, having various mental health problems and stresses can make one thing worse.

I wish you all the best!

Archived