Mental Health Forums

BPD - How to get a diagnosis

bobmonkhouse

Hi All,

Please can those who have been diagnosed with BPD help me at all, by telling me how they managed to get a diagnosis.

My partner and I both believe she has BPD, but her G.P. has fobbed her off with pretty-useless telephone counselling, which is not helping at all.

Any help gratefully received.

Hi there,

Sorry the GP hasn't been much help - sounds like you need to go back and ask for more help. Perhaps keeping a diary of symptoms and behaviour might be helpful?

My own experience is that a diagnosis is less helpful than getting the help you/your partner need. For me, these days, I focus on getting the help for the symptoms I'm suffering (although I have a diagnosis which makes sense to me, it must be said). A diagnosis generally comes from a psychiatrist.

Sorry if that's not much help

x

I tend to agree with you lapwing a diagnosis isn't always helpful I feel I was actually treated worse because I have a label of bpd not everyone is understanding. A psychiatrist is the only one who I think can diagnose bpd but its not always a good thing as lapwing said if someone can help with the symptoms that's much better x

Archived