Mental Health Forums

pms

Kara.

I usually feel very angry before my period. I hold tension in and all over over me that looks to explode at any cost. I also feel sad, fed up, irritable, short-tempered, eat far too much...

All of this I may experience in other occasions, having a PD, but it is a given that before period, this is going to be it. Fed up!!!

Does anyone know if people with PD do have more complicated pms?

Lets put this site running again?

I do not know if it is common with people with PDs to also have issues with PMS but I wouldnt be surprised as issues with hormones are often already an issue in people like us. I mean like low serotonine levels and such things.

I know for me it feels like half the month I am struggling with PMS, wel a week before my periods it starts and it lasts to a week after my periods. Feeling depressed, worrying more then usual, irritation and loads of it, a general feeling of being in de dark so to speak.

Like now I am happy and doing well but I know when it comes time again that will go away. It is a big part of my struggles.

What do you to have some control over it or to relieve it? Today I went shopping and I felt like starting an argument in every shop just because I couldn't hold so much tension and anger in me. I also couldn't work, just wanted to cry. I felt like a baby not knowing what s/he wants and not feeling happy with anything at all  :-(

Well first of all it helps me to realise its hormones, that there is no anger really as in a real reason if you know what I mean, so I do not take it too seriously.I try to just hold it in and its a nasty feeling but I keep in mind it passes and the periods will come and the whole thing will be over.

I try to spend a bit more alone time as then there are less things to be irritated about.

I allow that feeling to be there but try to live life as usual, not go sit still doing nothing but ruminate.

When really worked up I go and write it out like a nasty letter to someone for instance but after delete it.

I am nice and patient with myself

That's an interesting question kara.  I have wondered about the same thing before as I have stronger pd symptoms at that time of the month - particularly anger and frustration at people for no real reason whatsoever.  I can recognise it in myself but often can't stop my actions in time - for this reason I also find spending more time alone is helpful, as Lily suggested - if not for me, then for the other people I would be shouting at!

It certainly is a challenge trying to live with bpd AND pms - I wonder if anyone has done any research into the relationship between the two...

I think any hormone changes can affect your mood in general and when you suffer from any mental health issue then those vulnerabilities get triggered too. I can get pretty nasty/ tired/ depressed etc around my period. I'm on the pill which has helped level me out but it's the first month back on them this month and bf says i've been much more irritable lately. Add to that a house move and other stress and i'm a bit of a powderkeg at the moment!

Thank you Lily and artemis. I read a few things today but despite of people with bpd that make that relation, i didn't find much relation to medical studies. 

Kitsune that is quite a lot. You must be a nightmare ah ah ah  I was a nightmare until this morning when period finally came. All tension gone. I feel as peaceful as Dalai-Lama. For the moment :-)

HUgs.

Archived