Mental Health Forums

Data's busy couple of weeks

Data

Hi everyone.

Last week I cut down my alcohol. I'd been really binging on the weekend (27th/28th March), but on the Sunday night I stuck to 2 litres of lager, then 1.5 litres Monday, 1 litre Tuesday, and 1 pint on Wednesday (1st April).  I've had no alcohol since.

The week did not end well at work.  I was told I HAD to get some stuff in even if it meant doing it in my own time over easter, and if I didn't get it to work it was up to ME to come up with new ideas as my research project at work is "stuck".

On Friday an agent rang me up to discuss seeing a local company about a new job, I said I could come that evening after work if they didn't mind me not being in a suit.  So I turned up and it was nice, probably a bit easier and less stressful than my job.  I am a computer scientist at the moment whereas this is more like a straightforward programming job.  But the boss is nice.  And the company is friendly.  And its 3 miles away from home, not 28 miles away like my current job.  And after the interview he offered me the job!  its the same money but will save about £2500 a year in travel expenses.

I went home to the family, we went shopping, I shouted at my wife to hurry as I felt bad.  I went to bed with a fever and spent the next couple of days on the loo and shivering with a blanket around me.  I am much better now but still have stomach cramps.  I am going to spare you the descriptions of my illness, but suffice it to say thanks to my wife for steam cleaning the bathroom !!!

Over Easter I accepted the job, and today I told work and submitted my resignation.  I'm hoping the new job will mean an end to the horrendous work-related stress problems I have been having.

I wanted to make the most of a sunny Easter Monday as the tummy bug ruined my holiday otherwise.  So I look my wife and children to a nice reservoir, took a steam train, had a picnic, walked and saw a lizard on the wall of the reservoir (see below).  Then we stopped off at a forest on the way home for a walk where we saw a toad. 

lizard.thumb.JPG.79c86fdd291e27ca838b9f5

It was a nice day but my son (who as Aspergers) had very challenging behaviour.  He screamed, and was embarrasing.  He upset us all, particularly his sister.  We are finding him difficult at the moment.

So here is Data's latest story.  People were saying the forum was quiet so I thought I'd fill it up.  I think its more good news than bad :).

lizard.thumb.JPG.79c86fdd291e27ca838b9f5

That's fab news Data.  Congratulations on the new job and for cutting down on the alcohol! Very pleased for you :)

And nice picture too!

Wow Data! Bring it on. 

Congratulations. I am very pleased for you. I am b****y shocked too. You were called for a job, you went for an interview without a suit on and you got it. How amazing is that? 

Also well done for stopping drinking. This is it. Life can just turn like this. Unexpectedly. And that is amazing. 

Hi data,

Thi sounds good but forgive me for having to ask you this but ..... remebering creative corner...... gosh sorry feel bad...... but  is this all true ..... and if so  please take it one step at a time, its early days re the drinking and sounds good to get a job which is less.stressful for a while and nearer home for sure... sorry if I am doubting you...... just want to be sure........ coz I so want this to be so for you.

Thanks Artemis84 and Kara.

bluemoon - its all true.  And its not all good; I still have a sore stomach this morning from the illness.  I will have to talk to my son tonight about last night's behaviour. But there's more good than bad in there for a change :).

I still have not drank which means its 8 days without alcohol.   

Its been confirmed that I start in the new job 28th April and finish my old one 24th, so I have a long weekend inbetween to relax.

Here is another photo I took on my Easter family outing, its two ducks fighting:

ducks_fighting.thumb.jpg.2bab2707f864130

I always enjoy your updates and even envy to some degree your ability to be so open about your life. Congrats on the new job.

err that aint a toad! lol looks like  a water dragon. hmm

​I know that Barebones, I didn't have a camera with me when I saw the toad.  

I think my picture may be a female common lizard 

Archived