Mental Health Forums

Hello all - am new to the forum

Apotheosis

Hi everyone - i was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia when i was 25 - which was 17 years ago. The first major episode was when i was age 17 & i was hospitalised for 4 months on a locked ward. Initially the diagnosis was severe drug induced psychosis. Then at the age of 21 i was diagnosed with psychotic depression, after a severe suicide attempt.

i also had some strange experiences in childhood.

i've had a lot of questions, doubt, & confusion about the schizophrenia diagnosis - But i have comes to a lot more acceptance around it all.

The last psychiatrist i worked with was adamant it has all been a case of severe schizophrenia.

i tend to take an integral/holistic view - mind/body/soul - bio/psycho/social/spiritual.

i have maintained a low dose of anti-psychotic medication for the past 10 years, which does help keep me stable & out of severe psychosis.

Things have been very difficult in one way & another.

i will look forward to chatting with you all.

Hello Apotheosis. Welcome to the forum. I hope that you get to know people here and get the support you may need. It sounds that you already had a great share of difficulties and from very young age. 

We are a really nice and supportive bunch of people  :-)  

Hello Apotheosis. Welcome to the forum. I hope that you get to know people here and get the support you may need. It sounds that you already had a great share of difficulties and from very young age. 

We are a really nice and supportive bunch of people  :-)  

​Thank you Kara. Yes, things have been very difficult in one way & another. Currently my mum has been very unwell with Alzheimers for the past 4 years. My brother is the full time carer, & i help out as much as i can, but my own functioning & capacity to cope is very effected. It is very difficult circumstances.

i've been unable to work & living alone for the past 13 years. There has been a lot of worry with all the current benefit reforms in the UK. i was fully discharged from all mental health services 2 & a half years ago. i do have some good friends, & there is a lot to be very grateful for, but things are far from easy.

I'm shocked that you were fully discharged from MH services. These cuts are outrageous and I feel very deeply about it. I'm really sorry. Well, elections are near so maybe people can go and vote for who wishes to preserve the NHS and make it work better.

I'm sorry that it is so hard. You must worry a lot with your future? But it's great that you have friends and that you can value good things as well. I hope that you get the support you need. In here and where you are. 

Hugs.

Thank you Kara. i have a good GP who is understanding.

i worry a lot about the future at times, but just try & keep things in the day & not worry. i've been worrying about my physical health a lot. 

hi Apotheosis and welcome to the forum.  We are mostly quite friendly here.  It is possible you may even be raised to a god-like status as your user name requires :).

Hi Data - it's an old user name i used to use, & still do on some forums. It's easy to remember.

i've been banned off 2 other forums recently, so was searching out for some other places to post. i do find it therapeutic to discuss things on-line. i have really tried to adjust how i interact & respond to people, but still seem to get banned from time to time. One is a temporary ban, & they have placed me on pre moderation on the 'mad in America' site - seems very anti-psychiatry on there. Every forum seems to have it's quirks.

They don't like links to other forums here Apotheosis, its against the rules.

They are pretty tolerant here and bans are rare (but they do happen).  Warnings are more common.

I find it very therapeutic to discuss things on line, this forum is a life-saver for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived