Mental Health Forums

Hi am new to this forum

Secret Self

I was diagnosed with mixed Borderline Personality Disorder 6 years ago, but I have it for a lot longer. I'm going through a particularly bad time right now, it feels like I have way too much on my plate and my mood is very low.

Some good things are happening and I know I should be feeling happy.....but I'm not. Which makes me feel guilty. I'm also an addict.

Alcohol, and prescription meds, and those legal high powders.

My partner is also an addict, but is in totall denial.

I have tried NA. I dont drink in excess anymore. Just a bottle of wine 4 days a week.

I struggle in social situations. And use the powder as a confidence booster.

I prefer to be a loner tbh.

Thanks for reading.

Hello and welcome.  

I have struggled with addiction as well.  Just because you have the wine under control at the moment, doesn't mean you are "cured", it has a tendency to creep back up again during times of stress, so you have to watch it.  The 12 steps groups are not for everyone.

I am sorry you are feeling bad.  I think its ok to feel bad even if good things are happening.

Thank you.It'ss common though right, to turn to things like drink and drugs in the hope that it will make you feel better? But it actually makes you feel worse in the end. Its just a temporary plaster.

What I need are other ways to cope with my moods and emotions.

My CPN is absolutely useless I'm afraid to say.

I am seeing my phychiatrist in May. But all he does is review my meds.

Meds alone don't work

Anyone gotsome advice please?

Hi

Welcome to the forum.. sorry to hear of your struggles and that your CPN isn't proving to be helpful for you. 

I don't know where in the UK (or even if you're in the UK - I assume so) you are but I wonder if there are any support groups in the area. I hear you've tried NA but there may be other groups, like there is something also called 'SMART Groups' which I believe is similar to AA but.. different! Also there are charities who offer help for substance misuse and also mental health, such as depression support groups. I don't know if that would be helpful.

But yes I do often think that people turn to different things to get through things.. so for some it can be alcohol, others it could be eating or not eating, or smoking, or relationships, etc. For me it is more emotional overeating and it's taking me a long time to realise my triggers (normally when I'm alone/lonely) and try to work through that instead of turning immediately to food. Have you ever tried or learnt about mindfulness? It can help although does take practice and time to learn etc. but I wonder too if that would help.

Hope you are able to find something that helps.. even if it's something like calling the Samaritans, or writing a diary, or something so that you can express the feelings in that moment and hopefully not being alone

x

Archived