Mental Health Forums

Anxiety Medication Help & Suggestions?

bug-error

Hello everyone, so I wanted to ask anxiety medication. I've been taking hydroxyzine for a long time now, but it's never really done anything for me. Last week when I met up with my psych, we talked about that and we both agreed that i should stop taking hydroxyzine because it wasn't helping me. I have looked up some stuff online about other types of anxiety meds. I've been on buspar before, but it wasn't doing much either. I know there are benzos, but i'm a little wary of taking them because i'm afraid i'm going to become dependent on them and my doctor will take them away (he has told me before that he doesn't want me to use them for long term use, but I feel like I will need something long term-whether it be benzos or something else-because my anxiety has always been bad for years.) I'm already taking an anti-psychotic, ADHD medication, and an antidepressant by the way. So, I wanted to ask, what are some of your suggestions? should i ask about the benzos again and try them? (my doctor suggested them initially because when i'm having a panic attack i tend to self-harm a lot and he'd rather me take it then hurt myself badly and end up hospitalized.) What are some of your experiences with anxiety medications? Etc. Any advice is appreciated!

HI bug-error, I have taken propranalol, a beta blocker, long term for anxiety and though it doesnt seem to do much in crisis it takes the edge off the day to day stuff and along with a mood stabilizer keeps me on a more even keel, I take anti depressants and anti psychotics too. I was on benzos for a long time and I got out of hand with taking them in crisis and now am no longer allowed them as I found them very addictive and they only worked short term - I needed more and more to have the same effect over time to a point where I was taking well beyond my prescriptions amount on a daily basis.  I think if you can stay clear of benzo's try to do that for as long as possible.  And like they say, you will have them taken away from you, they are only marketted as short term solutions, which to me seems pretty pointless getting you started on something that works only to have them taken away. 

Good luck with it 

Thank you DaisyChain for your reply! I appreciate it. My anti-psychotic is supposed to act as a mood stabilizer too (I'm taking seroquel) and i've noticed it's helped with my dysphoria some. Unfortunately I'm still struggling with all sorts of things like anxiety, mood swings, depression, etc. I started working towards getting better a little more than I was before because I finally have found something within me that wishes to work through a lot of my issues, but it's hard to do when you feel so anxious you can't concentrate and breathe well.

I'm gonna try to avoid benzos as much as i can, especially because it's short term? Like....I don't understand why doctors would prescribe it if only they took it away. I would be more willing to try them if only I knew I could keep taking them long term, but since I can't...I don't really want to deal with withdrawals along with everything else. I'm glad you finally found something that works for you! And thanks again.

Hi bug-error, I take pregabalin for anxiety.  It was originally developed as a treatment for epilepsy but is now prescribed by some doctors as an anti-anxiety med.  It works for me and isn't a benzo so there's no addiction issues to worry about.  Might be worth considering? (I also take the same anti-psychotic as you plus anti-depressants.) 

Archived