Mental Health Forums

newbee here!

Liane0112

Hi all,

My name is Liane I have a fairly recent diagnosis of bpd, for 19 years i had a diagnosis of schizophrenia from a mental health team that i was under for that duration.

I have suffered with hearing voices since the age of 15 and sever depression which included several overdoses and selfharm and then in turn very many admissions to hospital.

Then 2 years ago i moved house to a different area and was moved to a different cmht, Within two weeks of being under that team i had my diagnosis changed to bpd.

I struggled at first to come to terms with this and was quite angry at the forma cmht for getting it so wrong for all them years.

While having the forma diagnosis i was heavily medicated and then when they changed to bpd i was suddenly faced withe the fact that i was to come off a lot of that medication which i was quite angry about cause although my diagnosis had change my symptoms havent.

I really struggled with the reduction in meds and how differently i was being treated.

Then a year ago i moved cmht again and i was offered a whole lot ov support i was given my meds back and i was offered dbt therapy which i am currently doing at the moment.

Apart from that i am lucky enough to say that i have a very supportive partner who sticks by me through it all.

I found this forum because although my partner and the therapy is great i wanted people to talk to who are in the same position or understand what it is like to live with bpd 

thanks

Liane:D

Hi Liane,

Nice to meet you, welcome to the forums. :welcomeani:

I also have a diagnosis of bpd.  Unfortunately in my area there doesn't seem to be much support for us and I do feel like I was given a diagnosis and then left to my own devices.  This and your story just show how bad it is that mental health care is so hit and miss and a bit of a postcode lottery.

Anyway! Hope you like it here.  It's a bit quiet at the moment but still lots of posts for you to read!

Hi Liane.  I don't have a definite BPD diagnosis but I have some traits of it.  I have been misdiagnosed several times so I know how it feels.  I've also been heavily medicated at times and many years ago when I was younger I had several hospital stays.

I am glad you are having DBT, that has a good reputation and its really helped people.  Medication can control some of the complications of BPD such as depression and mood instability and anxiety, but it doesn't change anything - whereas group therapy and talking therapy can.

Its great that you have a supportive partner.  Many people with BPD suffer from relationship problems.

Welcome to the forum!

Archived