Mental Health Forums

I love you guys because

Data

.... I feel bad. And on some level, a lot of you understand.

In the "real" world, there is a pressure to be positive. Look at the good things.  I can see the good things, but that is logic talking.  Emotion says .... I feel BAD!  In this forum world, I feel able to say how I feel.

And why is emotion something irrelevant, to be eliminated by logic!  You might see the logic, but that does not detract from the FACT that you feel bad.

I understand that what I have experienced today at work may be a "storm in a teacup", but to me it feels DEVASTATING.  Because, despite my house, my family, my good job, my PhD, I am VULNERABLE.  I bruise easily.

Thanks forum, for being here for me.

Indeed, why are feelings not fact? Why are they somehow less important? You're right Data, they're not.  Good on you for recognising that - and allowing yourself to be vulnerable.  Hope you are ok and whatever happened today doesn't spoil your weekend.

Indeed, why are feelings not fact? Why are they somehow less important? You're right Data, they're not.  Good on you for recognising that - and allowing yourself to be vulnerable.  Hope you are ok and whatever happened today doesn't spoil your weekend.

​Thanks for the validation Artemis.  My weekend wasn't spoiled as I went on a lovely walk on Saturday morning with my group, and the scenery/exercise/company made my troubles fade away.

I now feel a bit more relaxed about work.  It was my new job that upset me.  It is a really different atmosphere to what I am used to and I lost my temper with a colleague on Friday night.  I am getting to know people better and finding out who I have to avoid and who is nice and what the written/unwritten rules are. I am also finding my own ways to settle in, e.g. I put headphones in to help with the background noise.

"You might see the logic, but that does not detract from the FACT that you feel bad"

I like this, and yest I have had this very thing eat at me in the past. I think I am doing much better with it by upping my selfcare, giving myself time and permission to work through my feelings, by validating myself in this way I notice I feel less angry with others around me that don't understand.

Archived