Mental Health Forums

Hi im new and diagnosed with OCD,Hi..

Flower1111

Just saying hi,,im diagnose d with OCD and needing some advice. Things are bad and being made worse by outside influences!!. :(. I have been struggling with work part time but am 51 now and had enough with fighting. Ive not been signed off work but am scared to go and request this from my doctor. Am now with the new benefits comin in being pushed into finding more work and i cant cope??. Dont know if anyone is experiencing this. I would want to go on ESA,, i have diagnosis, had therapy,drugs ect. BUT dont know if i would be justified for Disability?. Does anyone else claim Disability or benefits for Mental health issues ect or OCD?. Thanks.

Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry, things are hard for you right now, and even more sorry that I can't give you advice on any of your questions, as I don't know. But I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum.

Hello and :welcomeani: flower1111!

Sorry I can't help on the benefits side really. But I can understand your fears with so much talk of benefit cuts etc.  Hope someone can help you.

Thank You ,,,lovely people,,yes we all have our different areas in life when problems are caused. Im a fighter but sometimes it gets too much to bear xxxxx

Hi Flower, welcome to the site :)

I don't really know how the new benefits work but I get both lower rates of DLA for mental health problems as well as income support.

I think you have been really brave to work part time but you know better than anyone about what you can cope with. It can be scary going to your GP but I really hope you can as it sounds like you are really struggling. I don't know if it would help to see a different GP or to write down everything you want to say. I hope you find it helpful posting on the site.

Thanks Emma,,,im struggling. Ive made an appointment this morning and am going to speak and say what i really want to say. Every time i go i say im going to discuss it then cant get the words out!. Silly really. Its lovely on here and im not alone and you must feel the same. Im not a social person as find it difficult but have a small circle of good friends.:D

Hi :)

DLA is changing over to PIP area by area. I think this means that those on DLA will be reassessed (as if being assessed the first time round wasn't stressful enough for people). I don't know what this will mean, whether many will lose this benefit and whether if you've been granted it indefinitely you will still be reassessed. It's very confusing and stressful.

People with mental health issues have enough problems proving their disability is as worthy of benefits as someone with a physical problem without feeling like the DWP is constantly trying to trip them up and find an excuse not to pay out.

Anyway!

I would say fill out as many forms as possible. Even if you are rejected for DLA (PIP) you can appeal and I was told by a support worker years ago to expect to be rejected but to keep trying. I know the old forms clocked up how many minutes a day/night you needed support/supervision to do things (taking meds, staying out of danger etc) and you got awarded a rate dependent on how much time per day you need help.

It's a crap system, especially with MH issues and especially with BPD because some days you might be able to function and others you may find yourself totally incapable of keeping yourself safe. 

I had a point......hold on.....

Basically you have to fill the forms out as if you are at your very worst and put down what you need when things are unbearable. 

It's uncomfortable and a real pain in the neck to keep going over things and fill out form after form after form, but when I was claiming ESA I found that having DLA made the process of getting ESA easier and vice versa. I had to claim housing too (or would have been homeless) and having doctors, social workers and psychologists from the team on board made it more straight forward. There was a box for filling in doctors details and giving permission for them to contact them, I was lucky in that I had a supportive psychiatrist but I still remember how stressful it was.

I also had to attend several medicals with an independent doctor. These were hard. 

And "back to work" interviews with various people until they finally realised I was genuinely unfit for work and backed off.

It's a rubbish process, but you have to keep at it.

Good luck, take care.

Hey sorry not been on for few days as tryin to get as much info together as i can. I went to docs on Friday and ive been signed off initially for two weeks!. Shes put Anxiety on my sicknote,,i have to go back and she said we will take it from there. Where tho?. I said i want to try and take it to the level of giving up working and got out a lot of what i wanted to say. I can self refer for more CBT therapy and im hopin i can use this in an assesment. Plus i was wondering,,do you have to have up to date diagnosis of conditions or can you use diagnosis of say 10 yrs ago as long as youve been DIAGNOSED? whatever?. Just hope the Job Centre are not going to try to kick anything off about this as im going to go crazy with them!. They had better not refuse to pay my initial sickpay?. has anyone had any trouble with this?. Their using any excuse not to pay out money im owed now,,,its crazy!!. I cant put up with the trauma coping with illness aswell!. :(

Hi :)

DLA is changing over to PIP area by area. I think this means that those on DLA will be reassessed (as if being assessed the first time round wasn't stressful enough for people). I don't know what this will mean, whether many will lose this benefit and whether if you've been granted it indefinitely you will still be reassessed. It's very confusing and stressful.

People with mental health issues have enough problems proving their disability is as worthy of benefits as someone with a physical problem without feeling like the DWP is constantly trying to trip them up and find an excuse not to pay out.

Anyway!

I would say fill out as many forms as possible. Even if you are rejected for DLA (PIP) you can appeal and I was told by a support worker years ago to expect to be rejected but to keep trying. I know the old forms clocked up how many minutes a day/night you needed support/supervision to do things (taking meds, staying out of danger etc) and you got awarded a rate dependent on how much time per day you need help.

It's a crap system, especially with MH issues and especially with BPD because some days you might be able to function and others you may find yourself totally incapable of keeping yourself safe. 

I had a point......hold on.....

Basically you have to fill the forms out as if you are at your very worst and put down what you need when things are unbearable. 

It's uncomfortable and a real pain in the neck to keep going over things and fill out form after form after form, but when I was claiming ESA I found that having DLA made the process of getting ESA easier and vice versa. I had to claim housing too (or would have been homeless) and having doctors, social workers and psychologists from the team on board made it more straight forward. There was a box for filling in doctors details and giving permission for them to contact them, I was lucky in that I had a supportive psychiatrist but I still remember how stressful it was.

I also had to attend several medicals with an independent doctor. These were hard. 

And "back to work" interviews with various people until they finally realised I was genuinely unfit for work and backed off.

It's a rubbish process, but you have to keep at it.

Good luck, take care.

​Thank You hun,,,,,,,xxxxxxxxxxxx

Archived