Mental Health Forums

Weight and bpd

Liane0112

Hi all,

im after some advice if possible.

when I am feeling rubbish I comfort eat (binge) and because of this I am severely over weight. 

I have tried numerous diets I even have been to the extreme of having a gastric band which I failed to control and it slipped so had to have it removed. 

I am currently following a calorie controlled diet with which I have lost 10lbs in two weeks. 

I am also in pre treatment for dbt full treatment starts next week. 

My question is does anyone else suffering with bpd or similar struggle with there weight? And if so how do you cope without food when your feelings take over. 

I know that my therapy is going to get hard but I want to cope without using food so I can still lose weight. 

Thanks for any advice in advance

Liane

Hi

Yes most definitely. I comfort eat too.. I guess for me it's been helpful to know that I eat when I'm feeling low/lonely. So if I'm around people I don't tend to eat too much. But when I am busy/around people then I don't eat. If something happens at work and annoys me, I eat. If I'm sitting at home alone, I eat. I'm just saying that as maybe it would be helpful to look at your 'triggers' for eating.. maybe then it can be possible to change things. For me I've been eating healthier for about 2 months now but it's a daily battle.

I know it's cliche but I'm trying to think of it as a life style change rather than a diet. So difficult and I wish I had some answers for you but just know you're not alone

x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Liane

You're definitely not alone with that, I've struggled with my weight for a long time and just found out I have BPD. It makes sense for weight and eating problems to go hand in hand with being borderline.

I don't have a solution yet but I think it is something a lot of people with borderline struggle with and hopefully gets easier with recovery.

-Sophie

• 3 months later...

Hi. I'm new :)

I have heard that we have a second brain in our stomach / bowels and that if we feel uneasy emotions, we are compelled to eat. To try and numb them. Anyway, I too, eat my feelings. It is horrible isn't it.

Eva

Archived