Mental Health Forums

Nervous to Swim

Saharah Blue

Every time I fall off the pool wagon I really struggle to get myself back going. I want more than anything to just go not to question or create obstacles, but I am afraid and I don't understand what I am afraid of? It is suddenly like sitting in the house in front of the computer is the only thing I can do with myself and I hate it, I feel so trapped and I don't really understand what it is all about because I love my pool time, I don't have scars I am not self conscious of my shape even when I am clearly out of shape.

I don't know why I get so avoidant about leaving the house on the weekend. I seem to manage one day of shopping and errands and then fall flat.

okay so after I posted this I was fed up with myself for making excuses and pretending that it was all beyond my control when it clearly is not. So, I suited up and grabbed my swim bag and just went out and did it. It was great, and the sky and water and sun renewed me and I didn't give a toss about any running commentary in my head, I just squashed it and made it happen, I am really proud of myself right now for allowing myself what I want and need and not denying myself health and happiness. *pats head :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for that and I might add I am not afraid to swimming I am actually afraid of having to step back into my real life after the bliss is over, I am afraid of succeeding because I actually know I can.

When I read through your link it sort of showed me what is my fear, which I haven't been able to pin point, thank you Crispin, for the light bulb moment on this end.

Archived