Mental Health Forums

New diagnosis

ilovelithium

Hi I'm Mina.

About 5 years ago I was diagnosed as bipolar. But in recent mental health assessments it has come to light that I actually suffer from BPD.

I'm currently going through the gruelling process of weening off of my current anti depressant and will be starting fluoxetine (prozac) soon. I'm also heavily medicated for other physical health concerns.

I suffer badly with loneliness and negative thought processes. Obsessing over tiny details etc. 

Does anyone have coping techniques with loneliness and isolation?

I don't have BPD as such, but I have a lot of features of it.  

The internet is great for overcoming loneliness.  This forum is very quiet but personally I use Facebook a lot.

Also if you can join clubs or societies with people who have a common interest, that can be good.  For example, there are many clubs on http://www.meetup.com/.

I have BPD,no polar & also have fibromyalgia. I live in a beautiful glen & my existence is a lonely one. I am very lucky & blessed to have a great hubby but most often,its just me & my cats.

I have to keep my mind busy as much as I can. I devote a lot of time to reading,listening to radio,watching TV,doing crosswords, working on different writing projects & I quite like twitter (its a bit embarrassing! I tweet pics of my cats!).

Of course,its impossible to keep myself distracted ALL the time & I do slip. It's happened today & I ended up SHing. But I've managed to forgive my slips & if I'm having a bad day,I just let it happen. I no longer get myself in a tizzy. Bad days happen. But so do good days.

I hope you're OK. Please PM me if you want.

Hi Mina,

I have BPD and I also find myself incredibly lonely and unable to self soothe without resorting to s/h or alcohol or whatever... I've found learning a simple instrument like a "Kalimba" to be very helpful, good for mindfulness and having something to do with your hands. They're also relatively cheap!

There are forums online you could join as well, I've been using that to combat my isolation... 

Hope this helps!

FF

Archived