Mental Health Forums

panic attack

christylusia

hi guys,

i 'm new here,i have one question to ask you guys,I am terrified. I've never had a panic attack before but I think I'm having one now. It's hard to breathe and I just feel really anxious and overwhelmed. I don't know what to do.reply pls.

Hello. Yes sounds like a panic attack.

Panic attacks are periods of intense fear or apprehension of sudden onset accompanied by at least four or more bodily or cognitive symptoms (such as heart palpitations, dizziness, shortness of breath, or feelings of unreality)[1] and of variable duration from minutes to hours.[2] Panic attacks usually begin abruptly and may reach a peak within 10 to 20 minutes but may continue for hours in some cases.[2][3] Panic attacks are not dangerous and should not cause any physical harm.

Are you alone. Can you speak to someone nearby or on the phone?

It helps for me to be distracted. If I am alone and can get no helpful reassurance from anyone then it is best to watch TV or listen to music etc... Do something NORMAL. Do you know what set it off? For me it is often set off by stress and being alone. Then I have to find someone or calm myself down. If it is purely a panic attack and you have no other health conditions then it is not deadly. It will pass. Get help before it starts again as if the panic is left it will get harder to handle. Fear is best attacked and confronted head on, so my therapist says!!!! Yes well it takes a while to learn this.

Take care I hope you are feeling better now.

Elizabeth

Archived