Mental Health Forums

Studying whilst having mental health problems

tattoogirl

Hey

I have depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder.  I was wondering has anyone tried studying whilst having these illness or something simliar.  Have you had any extra support whilst doing it?  How did you manage the essays etc?  I struggle with retaining information, concentration and all the others that you would expect.

The reason im asking is because i would like to study to become a counsillor.

Any advice or comments welcome :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tatoogirl,

I took a 2 year course from 2010 to 2012 , whilst also working part time. I didn't know then that I was BPD. It was really hard for me. The course was weekends, I have a home and kids etc... A lot of the time I didn't think I would manage, I was top of the class and had to always do more than I needed. Yes I guess at the end I was burnt out. Not to mention the people interaction, which was intense, worrisome and drive me crazy.

However I got through it and passed. I am not starting in 2 weeks a 4 year study (Theology), it is also part time study. I work minimal hours, kind of practical work to go with the course. I am very scared knowing that I now have BPD. I have  T, psych. Nurse counsellor who visits at home and I am trying to arrange everything for easy. I am going to TRY VERY hard not to do more than I need, and be CALM at all times.

IMPOSSIBLE I know.

But I also know from my last course, I will get so much out of it. And the fact that I now know what my problems are will make things slightly easier. I hope I see the signs coming when I'm heading for crash.

Yes retaining information is hard. I read the same stuff from different sources. It helps me to see things in pictures, diagrams or I search for a video on YouTube. I can remember this much better than just reading about something. At the end of it all you don't have to get a A, a pass is fine. OR? Enjoy learn and grow.

I don't know if this helped. I hope you have other people's opinions too. 

Take care Elizabeth

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Elizabeth for your reply.  I have just started a course last week on my journey to becoming a counsellor.  I have the first year to do before another two years so ill see how this year goes, i just have to keep an eye on things.  Thank you for your reply and you should be proud of yourself for completing your course!

• 4 weeks later...

There a support groups you can join. I left school early and after that I went to college to get my Gcses but once again left because I was very insecure about everything. I found a support group and they have sent me to do all these different courses one of which is a counseling course and others like confidence building. It turns out I dont have to do my Gcses in the end. I'm still working my way up but I already have two degrees in alternative therapies and I only started this in march. The people there are so nice and it makes want to do the courses. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did two uni degree's while studying. I had therapist's letters which I provided to the school and got extra time for assignments at times and also a special exam room which was not filled with as many people as at the time I had social anxiety, depression and ptsd.

Concentrating was hard for me too, I used to ask my b/f at the time to lock the computer to all social media so that I could study during that day and only have access to it at night as I had no self control. I didn't pass with amazing grades but am still proud.

It is definitely a rollercoaster and draining and hard. Sometimes you wonder why your doing it at all but it is very possible.

-holli

• 4 weeks later...

Archived