Mental Health Forums

anxiety making me paranoid

Justin51

Hello 

I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I suffer from social anxiety and recently this has become far worse than it has ever been. I think this is because of other recent stressful events in my life. However, I've found that recently, every time I get stressed or worked up, I start getting paranoid thoughts. These really scare me. They're normally along the lines of people are out to get me, or are watching me/tapping my phones/following me etc. it's actually the fact that I think these things that scares me more than the actual thoughts themselves. Once the stress drops a bit the thoughts lessen and eventually stop. However, everytime it happens it takes longer for them to stop and I find myself believing them more and more. I'm not quite sure how to deal with these thoughts and was wondering if anyone had some advice on this? 

Welcome to the forum Justin :).

I have had social anxiety in the past, it can be crippling.    It makes sense that paranoia comes with stress to me.  I think that if you are prone to paranoia, then you will be more vulnerable when under stress as your mind doesn't work properly and you can't logically out-think the paranoia.  If your mind is on overdrive and you think someone is looking at you, you may be too stressed to assess whether that is a realistic worry or paranoia.

Have you been diagnosed with psychosis?  Like any mental health condition, I guess stress makes this worse also.

Some people find relaxation techniques helpful - meditation, soothing music, or mental routines such as visualisation.  Others find distraction helps, e.g. read a book or go for a walk.  When I get anxious I tend to listen to music.

Archived