Mental Health Forums

Positive thinking

Data

Recently I've become aware of just how negative my thinking is.  So I thought I'd try positive thinking.  As often as I remember, I'll try and see the other side of the story.

E;g; my job is stressful, but at least it has flexible hours.  

Its important to recognise the negatives as well.  Otherwise I find I just rebel against myself.  I don't think people should be made to feel negatively for noticing the negative in something.  Some negatives have a place.  Fear and stress can be motivators, for example.

Also sometimes you don't believe the positive, or you don't consider it significant.  Its like... I'm being executed today, but at least its a nice rope!  When this happens I just move on and try again next time.   I don't want to increase my anxiety by fighting my own thoughts all the time.

It has changed my thinking a little, I think :).

I managed 3 nights with no alcohol which is an achievement for me and I think that is in part due to the positive thinking.  I am back to drinking again but planning to give it another go tomorrow night.

The alternative to positive thinking for me is "mental filter". http://psychology.tools/great-example-of-a-mental-filter.html

Of course its also harder to be positive if you are under more stress.  And I find I get more negative if I do less.  On Sunday I did a 6 mile walk and that really improves my mood.  Here is a pic:P9060205_(Medium).thumb.JPG.0c7c02cc1ac2

Beautiful photo Data!!!

It makes my garden look like a jungle. Yes I like your positive thinking idea. I will give it a try. I tend to make out of things that aren't even there. I hate  being stressed.

Well done with not drinking for 3 nights, how's it going now???

Take care 

Elizabeth

Archived