Mental Health Forums

antipsychotics that dont make u gain weight?

flutterby

I was on olanzapine for a few months but it made me gain weight, I have a history of an eating disorder so I decided to come off them. I ws put on to fluoxetine about 2weeks ago (the same time I came off of olanzapine) but ive been very tearful, umotivated, anxious and low spirited. I spoke to my cpn today who said they think its a lot better that I go back on to an antipsychotic because I seem to be able to function better on them. 

Im seeing my gp on friday and I really dont want to feel like this anymore. Im going to explain to her that my cpn wants me to go back on a antipsychotic,  but im pretty worried because most ive seen have weight gain listed as a side effect and I really dont want to gain weight. Ive been on quietipine before and that didnt make me gain weight but messed up my liver tests soi had to come off it, ive also been on amulsulpride and abilify but they raised my prolactin levels and didnt do much for me. My cpn said rispiridone doesnt cause weight gain but from wat ive read on the internet it does but I dont know if thats just from higher doses? 

Does anybody know of any antipsychotics that dont cause weight gain? Also I could really do with a med that makes you a bit sedated during the day to help with anxiety, does anyone know of sedating ones too?

Thankyou ☺

Hi. I'm on the clopixol by injection, been on it 6 months now and not gained weight, It sedates me of an evening in which I needed because I couldn't sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my experience for you...

I was quite convincingly informed by 2 different medics that Aripiprazole (Abilify) doesn't cause weight gain nearly as badly as other atypical anti-psychotics.  

(Maybe it's due to it being a partial-agonist of Dopamine receptors rather than an antagonist.)

I was on Olanzapine for 1 year when I was 18 and it turned me from an athletic man into a stretch-mark scarred mess with double the body-weight.  I've since lost most of that weight and am in good shape.  I've recently started Aripiprazole and haven't had ANY increased appetite.   Fantastic!

Archived